Talk

Advanced search

1 Week Old - how much is too much?

(5 Posts)
Kirky12 Sun 07-Sep-08 17:58:43

My DS is feeding for anything up to 40 minutes on one breast, is it possible that he still is feeding or is it more likely he finshes and then stays on to suck for comfort?

LIZS Sun 07-Sep-08 18:02:57

Congratulatiosn on your ds. It sounds fairly typical behaviour . You can't really ration a newborn as even comfort sucking will promote your milk supply and soothe him. He may well be feeding , resting then feeding again during those 40 minutes but that is perfectly normal as his tummy is so tiny he will digest each feed quickly.

OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 18:04:41

Congrats on your new arrival. I would not worry, it can take ages and ages to feed a newborn. The more you feed, the more plentiful your milk will be.

Good luck

likessleep Sun 07-Sep-08 18:29:23

i do agree.
however, in the early days for me, i had such painful nipples, that i did take ds off after 50 minutes for a 30 minute break, to then go back on for another 50 minutes!
he fed from 6-midnight every evening and i know this is normal, but he was making me sore.
you can also tell by looking and seeing if he is swallowing/muscles above ear are moving.
congratulations btw

ChairmumMiaow Sun 07-Sep-08 18:29:24

Its completely normal. Try to sit back and enjoy it - when your DS is older like mine you'll miss the quiet time when he's done in 15 minutes flat and you want to read another chapter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now