Talk

Advanced search

6 month bf, tempted to stop but don't want to!

(6 Posts)
noolia Sun 07-Sep-08 15:30:48

I exclusively bf dd for 6 months [v proud of myself emoticon] and now I've started weaning, which is going pretty slowly but fine.
The thing is she is a very slow feeder (still bfing for 6 hours a day) and I think that for quite alot of the time she is 'dream feeding' as a result she doesn't really sleep at all in the day. She is good at night though - sleeps after her last feed (11.30 pm end) till about 7, which is great. But I'd really like to get her down earlier in the evenings, partly so that I could stuff done and importantly so that dh and I could have some time together.
I'm wondering if formula from a cup in the day would mean more sleep later as she would get less of rest while feeding. I really don't like the long ingredients list on formula (fish oil and the like) though.
Any thoughts?

Elasticwoman Sun 07-Sep-08 17:21:42

You could feed her ebm from a cup.

But she shouldn't be spending that long on the breast at post 6 months. I suggest you speak to a breastfeeding counsellor (NCT, La Leche League etc. Google them, I can't do links) and discuss your feeding problem one to one with some one trained to deal with such things. There is probably a simple solution to this problem.

Also, I don't think weaning would solve the problem which now I come to think of it is more to do with sleeping than feeding (but a bfc can still help). If you withdraw the breast when dd is relying on it to get to sleep, you'll probably just end up with a fractious, frustrated baby.

I continued to breastfeed all 3 of mine and at this stage they should gradually be spending less time at the breast.

madmouse Sun 07-Sep-08 17:28:12

sound slike what my ds does once or twice during the day, I call it sleep-suck grin, he combines napping and feeding and when he is finished feeding he will only nap another 10mins at most. It does seem to charge his batteries! the rest of the time he feeds more quickly though, 5-15 minutes.

In my experience less sleep during day = overtired baby who does not sleep well.

Am quite jealous of your dd's sleeping my ds wakes a lot more at 7m, despite 3 solid meals!

noolia Mon 08-Sep-08 11:37:17

Thank you. Got a blocked duct today too!

Elasticwoman Mon 08-Sep-08 12:37:11

Aha. Could original prob + blocked duct be related? I think it probable. Have you contacted a bfc yet?

wonderstuff Mon 08-Sep-08 12:43:28

You could have the problem that she won't take the formula, my dd (10mo) has formula at nursery and only ever has a few sips, shes a very committed bfeeder though! She also snooze feeds, I try to remove my nipple when I think she is asleep, sometimes I have to give it back and try again, but generally after a couple of attempts she is sleepy enough to be put down for a while. I also feed lying down in the dark after 8pm and that helps her go back to sleep at night time rather than party with mum and dad! She doesn't sleep for as long as yours though, v. jealous wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now