Talk

Advanced search

When did your bf baby cut down to (eg) just morning and night feeds?

(23 Posts)
Caz10 Sun 07-Sep-08 11:00:18

dd is 9mths and I am starting to feel a bit surplus to requirements during the day! sad

Have recently gone back to work and am happy that supply seems to be ok, and she is still happy to bf in the morning, when I get home, before bed and during the night (zzzz)

But today when I'm home all day she is not interested in daytime feeds, and dh has real trouble getting her to take much more than a couple of ounces of formula during the day.

She has a pretty good appetite for solids I think.

Is this just what happens at this age?

Caz10 Sun 07-Sep-08 11:01:04

sorry, didn't explain that well - when I'm at work she gets formula, and dh says she won't take much of it at all, but will happily eat her solids.

mmelody Sun 07-Sep-08 13:16:01

My DS is 14 months and has only just dropped the day time feeds.. I went back to work 8 weeks ago and it seemed to start then.

Imawurzel Sun 07-Sep-08 13:52:55

I'm going back to work in October and have been wondering about this.
DD will be on sma progress during the day but she only sips from the cup. have got loads of cups but think i have finally found one she likes.
She is getting there with her food, still doesn't take breakfast yet. Does not like porridge.
sorry to cut in on this thread.

Caz10 Sun 07-Sep-08 14:45:08

How old is your LO Imawurzel?

Imawurzel Sun 07-Sep-08 14:49:24

she's 8 month (i think) was born 10 jan. Keep forgetting how many weeks
grin

boogeek Sun 07-Sep-08 14:53:47

Huh - still waiting at 22 months!
It's not uncommon though and if she's eating well and bf well during the night (!) I wouldn't worry too much.
10 Jan a very good day for a birthday btw. (Mine!)

Imawurzel Sun 07-Sep-08 14:58:07

She was due n.y eve!!
She was born on DH best friends boys 1st birthday, how odd.
I feel annoyed sometimes at still having to get up in the night to feed her, i've tried cuddling hr back to sleep, but she just wakes up 15 mins later.
ah well.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 14:59:14

9 months.

At 10 months she decided she did not want bf at all.

boogeek Sun 07-Sep-08 14:59:46

Well, Jan 10th is definitely a better date for a birthday than a night when everybody already has a party (though I appreciate it probably didn't feel like it at the time!)
She will outgrow it I promise wink. On her time-frame not yours I expect!

BellaMummy Sun 07-Sep-08 15:00:36

Once my DD was well established on solids at about 8 months, my HV advised to drop the daytime breastfeeds and just carry on the morning and evening ones. I was lucky in that she was sleeping through by then, and she really didn't notice the dropped feeds during the day. My milk supply just naturally adjusted and I carried on the two feeds until about 12 months when she lost interest sad

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 15:01:09

Oh and it coincided with returning to work too.

FlightAttendent Sun 07-Sep-08 15:10:53

I wish mine would stop wanting to be fed all day! I have gone onto nights only as have to stop feeding for medical reasons. He is 15mo. He nuzzles my breasts several times a day but can usually be distracted with food or water or something.

When it is bedtime he goes nuts and seems to feed several times in the night, often just seems to be holding on for comfort.

He's such a baby still and am finding it hard to deprive him in the day! sad

mawbroon Sun 07-Sep-08 20:34:23

Mine will be 3 next month. There has only been one day in his whole life where he has only fed morning/night.

kama Sun 07-Sep-08 20:35:25

Message withdrawn

Caz10 Sun 07-Sep-08 21:14:25

ok so anywhere from now until never?! grin

She's had a couple of normal-ish feeds today, and always has a big one before going to sleep, but I notice a definite decline...

I guess I just have to go with the flow.

mawbroon and kama, just out of interest, how often are your los feeding then?

Hadeda Mon 08-Sep-08 11:56:32

Caz - am wondering the same thing. My DD is 8 months and has about 4 feeds a day and sleeps through unless ill or teething or disturbed. And she doesn't demand the day feeds so if I forget one she doesn't seem to miss it at all.

Bella - when you dropped day time feeds, what did your LO have instead? i.e. were they replaced with formula feeds?

conkertree Mon 08-Sep-08 12:17:54

ds dropped daytime feeds on the three days i go to work, when i went back to work at 8/9 months. tried to replace them with formula but he was allergic and couldnt express enough but i was happy he ate lots when i was there, so wasnt too worried.

now he's 13 months and he has cows milk on his cereal morning and evening and bits of cheese etc so i am happy that he is getting some calcium. have tried to get him to drink cows milk as a drink too but he's not keen. still bf evening and during the night.

morethanasong Mon 08-Sep-08 13:28:19

I've heard anecdotally that 10 months-ish is a time when babies are often quite distracted and not too interested in breastfeeding, so it can be a good time to wind down if that's what you want to do.

I decided that I wanted to wean at 12 months so when dd went through this phase I encouraged it, offering more drinks, snacks and distractions. At the same time I did some research on bf beyond a year, decided that's what I wanted to do and so fed more frequently when dd showed an interest again. She was feeding more during the day at 12 months than at 10, but since then has slowly dropped back of her own accord. She's 20 months now and still feeds more than just morning and evening though.

mawbroon Mon 08-Sep-08 15:12:22

Caz - my ds would spend all day on there if he could! He probably feeds three or four times in the day, plus morning and night and during the night as well most nights.

My LLL leader says that this is quite normal for some children this age, especially if mother and child are never seperated which is the case with me and DS.

Caz10 Mon 08-Sep-08 20:32:35

This is all really interesting, thank you everyone for replying.

Hadeda that is what I was wondering too - what do you replace them with? In theory, I wonder what would happen if you wanted to stop bf-ing but the lo wouldn't take formula? I don't want to stop, but if she makes that decision for me as it were, and then won't take formula I know I would worry.

mawbroon I'm pretty sure if I wasn't back at work dd would be the same! I'll be curious to see what she does on my long holidays next year (teacher) if we make it until then

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 08-Sep-08 20:34:31

Message withdrawn

alittleteapot Mon 08-Sep-08 20:36:45

About 10/11 months, but has recently started feeding more in the day again - teething I think - she's 14 months now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now