Talk

Advanced search

I'm suddenly having problems feeding 6mo ds

(9 Posts)
Haylstones Sat 06-Sep-08 18:46:57

Ds has been bf since birth; I've given him a couple of bottles of formula (3 i think) but not for a few months now. Feeding has been fine until the last week or so when it has become really difficult to feed him. He thrashes about, popping on and off and crying and I'm not sure why. The only feeds he has with no problems are the night time ones, which made me suspect it was a nosiness stage...
He is having 3 meals a day and loves his food so I wondered if maybe I was trying to give him milk when he wasn't actually hungry but the amount I give him to eat hasn't changed in the past few weeks yet his feeding habits have.
I know babies are all different but dd never did anythign like this- up to 18 months if you offered her milk she would take it and preety much keep going until I removed her grin
I'm so puzzled by this and would appreciate any advice. HV said to wait 15 mins then try again but then suggested that as long as he had 2 servings of milk products a day I shouldn't worry about his milk intake (this was when he did similar a few weeks ago, not to this extent or length of time)

Haylstones Sat 06-Sep-08 18:47:57

ALso, I know he isn't taking as much as normal as I feel engorged and have started leaking again sad
Life is stressful just now and this is just making me feel so sad on top of everything else sad

Could he be teething?

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 18:49:55

How much food are you giving him to eat during the day and what times are you feeding him food?

MrsJamin Sat 06-Sep-08 18:57:59

Def. sounds like my DS when he was coming up to teeth emerging. try calgel on his gums before feeding?

Haylstones Sat 06-Sep-08 18:59:11

He is teething, yes. 2 teeth are through but I think another couple are on their way.
He has cereal at about 8am, lunch about 12 (followed by fromage frais) then dinner at 5pm (normally what we have plus a fruit portion)
He has milk when he wakes up, about 10am, 2pm, 4pm, 7pm and a few during the night (not loads, normally just enough to get him back to sleep!)

bethdivine Sat 06-Sep-08 19:35:21

sounds like he's getting plenty of feeds, along with the food as well. maybe drop the 10am feed and see if that makes a difference to the rest of them.

DS got like this at about the same age, but it was mainly a distraction thing, I found a dark room helped, and a feeding necklace worked quite well for him to play with. (PFB tho grin so I'm guessing you won't manage the dark room with a toddler around! I'm going to have such a shock to the system all the indulging I did for DS I won't be able to do next time!)

Haylstones Sat 06-Sep-08 21:24:50

THanksall, I had to disappear for a bit!
You're absolutely right, lying in a dark room is appealing but impossible! Dd starts school next week so I might try doing most of the feeds in a quiet room and see if that improves things.
Interesting re the teething, I thought if anything feeding would soothe sore gums but it would make sense. I seriously don't remember dd havng trouble teething hmm
Hopefully things will improve, he weighs almost 25lb at 6 months so at least I dont need to worry about his weight!

bethdivine Sat 06-Sep-08 21:42:07

I think the thing with the teething is the sucking hurts - don't know if you express, but you could always try some EBM in a cup if you're concerned that he needs milk at that time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now