Talk

Advanced search

sterilising question for beginners

(7 Posts)
madmouse Sat 06-Sep-08 13:12:55

hello

Am about to start weaning my ds onto formula when he is 8 months in a few weeks. So far I have always sterilsed bits and pieces like syringes in some milton, but a friend has now given me her steam steriliser.

It says it keeps the stuff sterile for 3 hours. what do you do next? Take the bottles out and assemble? Feeling a klutz and understand guidelines recently changed?

ivykaty44 Sat 06-Sep-08 13:15:25

I was going to say that I was told after 6 months to stop sterilising - but if things have changed then I dont know - sorry

hf128219 Sat 06-Sep-08 13:17:24

Once the bottles have been sterilised assemble them. They then remain sterile until you use them!

DoNotAnnoy Sat 06-Sep-08 13:18:01

You don't need to sterlise beyond 6m (especially if you use a DW), although in reality I did sterlise stuff they will be used for milk until 12m.

If you do want to sterlise. Do the sterlisation cycle. Then come back and assemble the bottles when it is finished. They are good for 24hrs like that.

Add you milk when you are ready to use.

Alternatively put the water in at the same time as assembling (also good for 24hr on the side). Wack the water in teh microwave to reheat, add the powder and feed when necessary.

poppy34 Sat 06-Sep-08 19:09:40

agree with what donotannoysays although this is not the current guidance (Which is clearly written by someone who has never fed a very young child as advocates making up stuff as you need it). I'm not sure what current advice is on how long you sterilise - I always thought it was 12 months but must admit I've not actually seen anything Official about that.

pudding25 Sat 06-Sep-08 22:48:00

Oh, so excited to hear that the bottles are sterile still once made up! I thought you had to keep sterilising them if the 3 hrs were up! Luckily, DD is mainly BF or I would have been driving myself mad for the past 4 mths.

madmouse Sat 06-Sep-08 23:01:25

thanks all, I have sterilised bottle, assembled and filled with boiled water, and put powder in little container next to it ready to give if sir insists on late evening feed. I think. Or I may chicken out again and give him boob as usual. Have been talking for weeks that if he does not start sleeping better he gets bottle, but doing it is another matter. He is 7months btw and had me up 4 times last night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now