Talk

Advanced search

Fed up of leaky boobs - when will it stop?!

(5 Posts)
fadingfast Fri 05-Sep-08 22:07:28

DD is now 20 weeks and I'm still leaking profusely during feeds and getting through bucket loads of breast pads (and I thought BF was supposed to save you money!). I was the same with DS but I'm sure by now things had calmed down a bit. Am I destined to be this leaky until I give up BF? Should I buy shares in Lansinoh?

I usually use breast shells for the first couple of feeds in the morning but these aren't practical when out and about. Washable pads just aren't up to the job.

Is there anything I can do? Have been wondering whether to try Lily Padz but not sure they would be up to the task and worried about getting mastitis.

Febes Fri 05-Sep-08 22:16:51

I stopped leaking when DD was 6 monthsish. I also noticed at that stage there was a more supply and demand thing going on and I didn't feel full when due to feed. I also cut to 3 feeds at around that time. Now DD is 9 1/2 months and no leaking at all.

I used washable breast pads made of bamboo or something and they worked well but I was given them and don't know the make or anything.

Olihan Fri 05-Sep-08 22:19:50

I leaked until ds2 was at least 10mo, can't remember exactly but for the last few months I could use 1 decent (Lansinoh/Tommee Tippee) pad and it would last all day. Then I'd put in a fresh pair overnight. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear smile.

You can press the heel of your hand into the breast (over your nipple) you're not feeding from when you feel the let down reflex start and that stops the worst of it but again, it's not very discreet when out in public!

GreenEggsAndSpam Fri 05-Sep-08 22:21:38

I found shells just made the problem worse - they encourage milk to flow. I found a few days doing what Olihan suggests sorted it out though. Only found that out on 3rd baby - with #1 and #2 I leaked day and night till I stopped exclusive feeding - so 6 months. I used washable pads though to save money!

mmelody Sat 06-Sep-08 10:29:20

I leaked until DS was around 5-6 months. Lansinoh pads are the only ones that came close to working!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now