Talk

Advanced search

vomiting and diarrhoea in bf baby

(15 Posts)
ChasingButterflies Fri 05-Sep-08 13:35:09

10mo ds has had vomiting and diarrhoea since first thing this morning; he's a bit grumbly but generally not seeming too poorly (no temperature). I've continued to bf, and he's asked for extra feeds. He's now attempting a piece of toast and some water.
So, is there anything else I need to do/look out for? To complicate matters, I've had the same bug since last night (and still going) and not able to eat anything yet...

madmouse Fri 05-Sep-08 20:41:25

How are you now and how is ds? Still v&d? if he is still not keeping anything in it is time to ring docs, but it did not sound too bad as he kept on asking for food?

MrsJamin Sat 06-Sep-08 09:27:03

8 MO DS had a similar thing in the last week, he's had D for a week but vomitting just the first night. I rang nhs direct (sooo helpful I love them) and he said to continue feeds and solids as usual, but to just make sure he had enough water and fibrous foods. Saw doctor yesterday at 8 month check and he said there are various tummy bugs about, that I was doing all the right things. Gave me a stool sample pot and will give this in on monday if he's still got it. Perhaps ring nhs direct or your out of hours doctor if you're concerned? Most important is how they seem generally, I think.

ChasingButterflies Sun 07-Sep-08 12:07:15

Thanks, it seemed we were both getting a little better yesterday, both managed a bit of food, but d&v (mostly d) back with a vengeance for both of us today. He's asking for more bf than usual and I'm hoping that will help him, but I'm feeling really drained. Dp just gone off in search of some rehydration stuff for me... Do you think I ought to take ds to the doctor tomorrow if it's still going on?

ChasingButterflies Sun 07-Sep-08 12:07:52

sorry to hear about your ds, mrsjamin, hope he's feeling better

lulumama Sun 07-Sep-08 12:09:32

i;d forget about food and water for now and just give as much breast milk as he wants if the D&V come back. worth a trip to docs as this has been a few days

MrsJamin Sun 07-Sep-08 13:07:44

lulumama, that's not the advice from the nhs now, as I said before.

He might be getting better today, I think. He's had a stinking cold too for the last few days - we've had a terrible week! Hopefully next week we'll both have good health!

lulumama Sun 07-Sep-08 13:09:25

ok, as i understood it, with a breast fed baby, the best thing to offer is breastmilk. NHS direct are not neccesarily breastfeeding experts, nor are GPs, have been varioous posts on ehre about GPs telling mothers to give juice or stop breastmilk as it makes the upset stomach worse.

MrsJamin Sun 07-Sep-08 13:20:15

Would be interested in where you got that advice from, lulumama, as I can't find anything that says you should stop giving solids or water if your baby has diarrhoea?

lulumama Sun 07-Sep-08 13:22:54

i can;t cite a particualrly book or article i;m afraid, it is something i have picked up along the way. i thought that giving food and non breast milk could make an upset stomach worse and lead to temporary lactose intolerance so it was best to avoid milk for that reason and solids until the D&V stopped. just offering another opinion. smile

lulumama Sun 07-Sep-08 13:23:38

if i;m spectacularly wrong then i am happy to be corrected.

foxytocin Sun 07-Sep-08 14:02:28

i would let my baby take the lead. I found that when dd was poorly she only wanted bm and that could go on for over 24 hrs.

When she is perking up, i see no harm in offering other drinks and/or solids but i would not fret if it was refused.

savetheplanetdontiron Sun 07-Sep-08 14:07:30

Ugh poor you. DD had this at 8 mos and had just started to take a real interest in solids at that point. She went right back to EBF and I fed and fed and fed. She was about 10 days before she went back to solids again but took loads of breastmilk which contains all the antibodies for fighting the bug.

With previous babe dingbat GP told me to temporarily wean because my milk would make things worse angry. I listened to him - I was a twit. Non-bf kids can end up needing the electrolyte solution which is vile. Breastmilk is a much nicer option smile

Can you take the baby to bed with you so you get plenty of rest too? Is someone looking after you or could someone do it.

Get well soon

ChasingButterflies Sun 07-Sep-08 15:46:37

thanks all! he's asking for lots of bfs, and lovely dp is bringing ds to me in bed and then whisking him away afterwards so at least i can rest in between. i figure as long as he's having lots of bm he won't be going without anything, but will see if he perks up at all later. as for me, i still can't countenance the idea of eating anything at all [bleurgh emoticon]

ChasingButterflies Sun 07-Sep-08 15:47:35

obviously i sneak in some cuddles before he's whisked away... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now