Talk

Advanced search

How can I help my ten month old who has a rotten cold to feed?

(6 Posts)
MarlaSinger Fri 05-Sep-08 10:39:51

He can't breathe through his nose, so feeding is on-off-scream - on-off-scream - repeat, painful for me and him.

What can I do to make it easier on him?

likessleep Fri 05-Sep-08 10:47:11

haven't used them, but a nasal aspirator might help?

chipmonkey Fri 05-Sep-08 10:52:35

Get some saline nasal drops from the pharmacy with a nasal aspirator. I found this always worked very well with my lads.

chipmonkey Fri 05-Sep-08 10:53:08

Also you can get a version of Olbas Oil for children which seemed to help.

calsworld Fri 05-Sep-08 10:54:52

Could you try feeding in a steamy bathroom to help loosen the congestion long enough for him to feed? Then perhaps go and get some saline drops and an aspirator?

singyswife Fri 05-Sep-08 10:58:27

Get some medised. It has something in it to ease blocked noses and helps them feel better too as it has paracetamol in it. I think they can use it from 12 weeks. Also agree with the steamy room thing. When my lo was like this when she was little I was told by the health visitor to put a drop of warm water up each nostril. Didnt fancy it myself but she swore it worked. I wouldnt take him into the steam while you are trying to feed though as it gets really hot, sit in there till he begins to sneeze then take him out and feed him. Also open windows and leave bowls of water on radiators.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now