Talk

Advanced search

Expressing question

(5 Posts)
IHeartIona Fri 05-Sep-08 10:19:43

This may seem a silly question but I just want to check! I need to go to the hospital for an outpatients appointment tomorrow and will probably be delayed so want to leave a couple of 4oz bottles for my dh to give to my dd (just under 6 months) in case I am out for hours. I will feed her before I go as well.
If I express between feeds - I usually express 10 mins each side to get 4 oz - will there still be enough milk left for her next feed??
thanks a lot.

chipmonkey Fri 05-Sep-08 10:38:09

Yes, you should generally take the attitude with expressing that "Baby always gets enough" I find my ds4 is fine when I do this, he might take slightly longer to feed but he seems happy at the end of it!

likessleep Fri 05-Sep-08 10:48:25

I'd leave an hour after expressing before your next feed though, maybe?

mamaberta Fri 05-Sep-08 10:53:52

you could try expresing as you feed. the baby stimulates both breasts even tho only suckling at one. if you express a feed your breasts will start to make replacement milk straightaway. hope you don't end up spending hours at the hospital smile

IHeartIona Fri 05-Sep-08 11:01:19

thanks for your answers all!
mamaberta - I think my dd would be too distracted if I express as I feed so will try to do it soon after she has fed to leave longer before her next feed.
likessleep (me too by the way!) - yes good idea, I will make sure I do it more than an hour before the next feed.
chipmonkey - glad to hear your ds gets enough when you do this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now