Talk

Advanced search

Green poo advice needed

(10 Posts)
Pennies Mon 21-Feb-05 14:16:55

DD, exclsuively breastfed, has had green poo since she was 2 months old - she's now 5.5 months. Poo has been varied shades of green ranging from pale olive to dark evergreem. They don't have many curdy bits in them and are sometimes mucousy, sometimes runny. Sometimes it is a bit runny and watery like diarrhoea but, again she never seems ill.

She has been growing well, and shows no signs of ill effects or dehydration. GP and HV don't seem concerned.

I have read up about this and most experts seem to think it is the hindmilk / foremilk imbalance so to try and resolve this I have kept her feeding for ages to ensure she drains the boob and sometimes she even manages to stay on until there is a second let down, but despite this the nappies are still green, so I'm not convinced this is the answer.

I was wondering if that's just how her poos are so today I've put her on formula only, and they have gone back to mustard yellow, much more curdy than on breast milk and basically what they were when she was very little before all this started.

Does anyone have any idea why my milk makes her poo green?

Should I continue to breastfeed?

Could it be a sign of something not right with me (recently had a melanoma successfully removed and am a litle bit concerned this may be related). Am really quite worried by all this. Can anyone help? Thanks.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 14:20:37

It sounds like just one of those things to me. DS2's poo ranges from a classic seedy mustard yellow (rare) to various shades of green to a sort of browny yellow. He also has days where he poos a lot, and days where he doesn't poo at all (which is quite nice really). But he's happy and growing and contented, so I'm not too bothered.

I'd keep breastfeeding. If there's anything wrong in your body, your body will do its absolute best to keep feeding your daughter properly.

And anyway, when you start solids in the next little while (or whenever you're planning to start), you'll discover a whole rainbow of new poo colours!

irishbird Mon 21-Feb-05 14:24:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pennies Mon 21-Feb-05 14:32:30

Yes, can't believe I'm here discussing poo on the net! Never thought Id be a poo obsessed mum. Seem to talk about it all the time to antenatal friends!

irishbird Mon 21-Feb-05 14:34:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dophus Mon 21-Feb-05 14:58:12

The HV told me that green poo meaned it was passing through DS faster then normal.

DS's poos also range in colour and I am most worried as I have little else to talk to DP about!!! He tells me about his day but after four weeks at home wiht DS I am losing the art of conversation. I also seem unable to refer to myslef in the first person and have become 'Mummy'.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 15:00:34

Just wait for solids. Let's put it this way - they don't change solids much on the way through. Well, particularly if you do early weaning, as I did with DS1 - put in pureed sweet potato, get out pureed sweet potato.

I guess it at least makes changing nappies more interesting, even if it doesn't provide much food to the baby!

janx Mon 21-Feb-05 15:16:38

I have just had two weeks of dd green poo!! - but it was diarrohea and a little bug going round. my 5 month old was fine, not ill and thought all the nappy changing was a new activity!! Seems to be over now - hurrah

Annner Mon 21-Feb-05 15:35:43

We had three weeks of green poo, in similar circumstances. I posted about it and received lots of reassurance, and although I was in the same position as you in having a healthy, thriving and growing baby, I still wished that her poo would be more "normal" as well.

We fiddled around with foremilk/hindmilk issues, experimented with expressing before and then after feeds, tried putting in an extra night feed, monitored my diet, but nothing changed it back.

Then one day it just changed. She had had her first jabs and first cold at the same time, and it changed just as the last of the snot left her. Perhaps your baby is also gobbling lots of mucus too?

DD put on 9 oz during her last green poo week and only 4 oz the following, flourescent yellow week. Just a unique babe!

eidsvold Tue 22-Feb-05 11:57:19

i was told green poo meant the babe was getting lots of foremilk and not as much hind milk - notice it with dd2 on days when it is really hot and she is just drinking (foremilk) rather than taking the richer hindmilk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now