Talk

Advanced search

Help! viral vomiting bug in breastfeeding mother

(6 Posts)
Annner Mon 21-Feb-05 10:11:53

Help! I have woken up this morning with what is clearly a viral vomiting/diahoreal bug. I haven't eaten since Sunday evening, and this morning have even been throwing up water.

Apart from very scrupulous handwashing, is there anything that I can do to minimise the chances of passing this to my 14 week old breastfed baby?

Advice from HV has been to keep feeding as usual, but I'm a bit worried about running low as I become more dehydrated as the day goes on. I'm trying to keep sipping water, but I do feel terribly grotty and seem to be losing fluids as fast as I can get them down.

Annner

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 10:15:29

If you were keeping water down, I wouldn't be worried at all, but throwing up water is pretty scary. (I've had a couple of milder tummy bugs while bf this time around, and have been fine, if slightly drained.) The HV is right that you should keep feeding.

I'd talk to a doctor and see if there are any drugs you can get, though. I know there's a very strong anti-vomiting drug, administered by needle, which is totally not safe if you're pregnant, but I don't know if it's ok when breastfeeding. Is the vomiting regular, or does it only happen when you take something in? If it's only when you take something in, maybe try not having anything for an hour to let your stomach calm down, then try one sip, wait five minutes, etc?

I'd also try dioralyte or similar when you can drink, just to try to get some sugars and salts in ...

Annner Mon 21-Feb-05 10:21:02

Thank you for such speedy replies! I hadn't thought of dioralyte, so I'll zoom upstairs and find it.

I am washing with a Lady Macbeth-esque obsession at the moment. DD seems absolutely fine so far.

Annner

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 10:23:03

Once you have antibodies she'll get them. These bugs only really pass via vom or poo, so as long as none of that gets in your daughter, she'll be ok.

Annner Mon 21-Feb-05 15:30:36

Update ... the Dioralyte and the water that I had been gingerly sipping all morning returned whence it came at 11 , so I gave up for a while and had a bath instead.

Gave dd a mega feed at midday and retired to bed. Luckily dh could """"work"""" from home and took over walks and entertainment of dd.

I woke at 2 with a raging thirst instead of raging nausea and drank a can of flat coke. So far, so good! It has stayed down, and I am about to brave a water biscuit.

DD is feeding more than usual (from both sides per sitting instead of one) so I presume that supply may have faltered, but that she and I are making up for it.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 15:35:31

Bananas are very very good for dodgy tums, as they're very filling, and if worse comes to worse, they come up without discomfort.

Water biscuits are also safe.

Apple sauce is good, as is plain rice or bread.

It's good to hear you're getting better, and I hope things keep improving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now