Talk

Advanced search

So how does 'extended' bf develop when they start on (BLW) solids?

(13 Posts)
MamaHobgoblin Tue 02-Sep-08 22:29:53

Would like to continue BF as long as DS wants/is practical. He's 26 weeks and we just started BLW.

Am currently offering him boob before roast parsnips/whatever. He's getting one solids meal a day (and being BLW, he won't be eating that much for a while yet, I'm presuming?). When do babies start to drink less breastmilk? Is he more likely to drop a feed or two completely, or just take less at a sitting? Will we end up only feeding two or three times a day? We don't have a regimented feeding schedule, but I can no longer always 'read' when he's hungry, so I sort of offer it at more or less the same times every day, and if he's not bothered, I try again a bit later. I'd say he has 6 feeds a day, on average.

Just want to know what sort of thing to expect! Or are they all different? smile

MamaHobgoblin Tue 02-Sep-08 22:31:28

(Should say - getting one solids meal a day *at the moment*! Am not planning on starving him in near future! grin)

Caz10 Tue 02-Sep-08 22:34:01

wondering this myself as dd is almost 9mths and showing no signs of cutting down milk as yet, despite eating quite a lot!

i still bf her 1st thing, briefly before i go to work, once when i get back (sometimes twice), once before bed then at least once in the night.

she gets 2 bottles of formula while i'm away and makes a good stab at 3 meals a day (not massive just bits of stuff) plus snacks!

no sign of milk appetite waning yet...

policywonk Tue 02-Sep-08 22:36:18

'When do babies start to drink less breastmilk?'

Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

<picks tits up off floor>

I'll ask my three-year-old tomorrow grin

Sorry, not much use - my two both carried on feeding very enthusiastically despite eating solids. I suppose that they dropped some feeds very gradually (I never had a feeding routine so it was hard to tell exactly), but the real impetus to cut down came mostly from me.

As you say, I guess they're all different, but that's been my experience!

StealthPolarBear Tue 02-Sep-08 22:37:21

Yep, 16 month old like a little bit of food in between his many milk feeds here!

Tommy Tue 02-Sep-08 22:39:41

I did BLW with DS3 and would probably say that I breastfed him about as much as I did before for several weeks if not months.
Sorry if that's not you wanted to hear! grin

MamaHobgoblin Tue 02-Sep-08 22:42:05

grin lol policywonk and SPB!

okaaaay...that's fine, I just realised I didn't have any idea of what to expect, and am not banking on any great advice from HVs...

thisisyesterday Tue 02-Sep-08 22:47:50

mine drank a lot more when we first started solids and then went back to normal.

mine has taken to clawing at me and pulling my top and eating me through my clothes when he wants a feed. with this maniacal grin on his face.

that helps me to tell when he needs milk grin

onelittlelion Tue 02-Sep-08 22:48:27

My ds eased off for a bit at about 8 months I think and I genuinley thought I'd be down to am and pm feeds by the time he was about 1. But he suddenly rediscovered bf in a big way and went back to feeding quite often. However some days now he is too busy and he won't feed all day...He is 2 now.

callmeovercautious Tue 02-Sep-08 22:54:55

It is very gradual, especially if you are not giving other milk in between. DD settled into a morning, naptime, naptime, bedtime thing at about a year. The same time as Nursery. However the last few weeks she has asked for it more often. I thought she was beginning to wean as she is 2 this week but almost every time she sits on my lap she asks for it. Perhaps she is getting some extras in and will soon tell me "no more mummy milk" and just quit smile

Keep going with the flow. Try not offering in the day and see what happens, make sure there is water and milk available in a cup though incase they are thirsty.

skidaddle Wed 03-Sep-08 11:03:21

I think it depends on the baby - some are down to 2 feeds a day a 8 months, some (like mine) are still having 6+ feeds a day at that age (plus ore at night) - if you have demand fed until now I would jsut carry on and let your baby take the lead (unless you want to cut down milk feeds)

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:35

I carried on demand feeding along with blw. At 16 months, it's extremely clear when dd wants milk. She just lifts my top up and helps herself. She breastfeeds lots. She snacks throughout the day and has bigger feeds at nap times and bedtime. She's showing no signs of losing interest. Luckily, neither am I!

MamaHobgoblin Wed 03-Sep-08 11:49:18

Thanks for all the tips! Will just continue feeding as we are, then, and see what he does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now