Talk

Advanced search

18 month still drinking around 6 or 7 9oz bottles of whole milk a day

(6 Posts)
makeminealargeoneplease Tue 02-Sep-08 21:14:25

Is this excessive? He loves his milk and expecially in bottles, he just doesn't seem to want it from a sippy cup. I'm also concerned about whether or not to let him drink from a bottle. Would it affect his teeth alignment?
He still has a bottle in the night some nights blush should I get him off this? TBH it's no biggie because I just hand him the bottle and he drinks it in his cot and goes back to sleep, end of. But I'm thinking maybe he should have grown out of a night time drink by now. I've tried water BTW, he just pushes it back at me hmm
Didn't have this prob with DD as she went straight from breast to sippy cup and I did the whole sleep training (baby whisperer sssh pat, it worked brilliantly)thing with her at 10 months. However DS screams louder, is far more stubborn and crys so much he vomits sad and I don't seem to have the fight left in me this time round so I've just carried on with the flow.

deaconblue Tue 02-Sep-08 21:32:35

That's lots more than he should have at this stage surely? Does he eat much? Massive amount of calories in that amount of milk if he's also having 3 full meals a day.
Is milk the only drink he will accept during the day too?

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 02-Sep-08 21:45:58

I bf both mine but ds1 still had a bottle at bedtime and sometimes if he woke in teh night at that age. Only one of those 4oz bottles though.
It was more for my benefit as theres only 16m age gap and I was done in enough night feeding the baby.
It does seem an excessive amount though - most bottle fed babies I know were on less than that when they were only on milk and growing super-fast.
Does he eat ok at meals? At 18m I think ds1 and 2 had a small bottle at nap time and water/milk in a cup at other times, and food at breakfast, toast time, lunch, fruit snack time, tea time.

makeminealargeoneplease Tue 02-Sep-08 22:07:55

Well he doesn't eat too much actually, now you mention it. He'll never turn down fruit (any kind) and at the moment loves fromage frais. At the moment he does have a cold and is teething, so he's not eating alot but generally eats small portions, but his sister has always eaten like a sparrow so I've only got that to compare it to. I must say I wish his appetite was better for food, but apparently my DH was the same as a child, would drink milk like it was goign out of fashion but not fussed too much about solids. So you think try and cut some of the milk out and replace with more solids, if he'll take it?

morocco Tue 02-Sep-08 22:10:35

you have to watch out for iron deficiency apparently. I only know this cos dd who adores bm and is 18 months old was diagnosed iron deficient ages ago. apparently it's v common in babies who drink excess milk. and can then reduce their appetite.
it's not a really big deal btw. he might be having iron supplemented milk in which case not even relevant. but I didn't know there was any risk at all from drinking lots of milk , so just passing my new fact on

makeminealargeoneplease Tue 02-Sep-08 22:27:59

Thanks Morocco, I didn't think it was too much to be concerned about, will try to add things to his diet which are iron rich, thanks for the tip. He's a very healthy little boy, just above average for weight and in 91st percentile for height. Oooh just thinking about his little chubby legs and him sleeping in his cot is making me all smile, hes gorgeous! (Sorry, couldn't help myself!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now