Talk

Advanced search

Really stupid question - how do you 'know' when breastfeeding is established??

(10 Posts)
Backgammon Tue 02-Sep-08 18:45:30

I keep reading sbout how once b/f is established x, y, z can be done etc etc.

Bear with me, I know it's a stupid question but how do you know that b/f is established? Do the feeds settle into a pattern rather than constant feeding, or is there another sign - e.g fullness of breasts, weight gain?

Thanks!

milkmoustache Tue 02-Sep-08 18:48:00

Pattern definitely - just make a note of all feeds over a week. At the same time your breasts should probably have settled down too so they just feel a bit fuller before a feed and softer after - not like bloody great footballs!

BellaBear Tue 02-Sep-08 18:49:26

I felt bfing was established when I stopped worrying if the next feed would go well, if that makes sense

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 18:50:36

Message withdrawn

milkmoustache Tue 02-Sep-08 18:57:02

... and also when there's no blood involved.
My milk has just come in - I had forgotten the agony!!!!

Backgammon Tue 02-Sep-08 19:03:12

Ok, breasts have definitely settled down and definitely over the pain stage (thank god!) but knowing when to expect a feed is currently every minute the baby is awake, I take it that's not what you mean?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 19:13:45

Message withdrawn

Backgammon Tue 02-Sep-08 19:20:13

Thanks SM, think I'm going to be an 8 weeker. DD was on top-ups for slow weight gain so am only just back to exclusive b/fing so I expect this will slow things down a lot.

Tell me the end is in sight though, it will happen, won't it??

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 19:22:29

Message withdrawn

Backgammon Tue 02-Sep-08 19:24:55

Oh, nothing really...just that I'd read the thread about dummys and waiting til breastfeeding is established (not planning to use dummys though) and keep hearing about "when breastfeeding is established" and I just wondered how you knew when that was the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now