Talk

Advanced search

How to increase ebm supply only

(12 Posts)
TracyK Sun 20-Feb-05 19:30:48

I want to continue to give ds ebm for as long as poss but am only getting max 3 oz at 7am and the same at 9.30pm.
How can I increase this amount?
Should I express mid day as an extra or a couple of times a day?

mrspink27 Sun 20-Feb-05 19:34:26

I think the rule is something to about supply and demand. The more you demand the more you'll make. so i guess the answer is yes.
how long have you been expressing? i found that to start with i was able to express very little, i think practise helps to !

TracyK Sun 20-Feb-05 19:38:59

Have been expressing for almost a year now and was able to get 10 oz at the height of ds demand.
I don't want boobs to think I need a third expressing time I just want to increase the amount that I get at the 2 sittings. Which leads me to think that midday wouldn't be much use.
Maybe if I expressed at 8pm and then again at 9.30 I could fool them into thinking 8pm was a feeding time and if I left it after a while it would join forces with the 9.30 pm one??
or is expressing just a poor substitute and boobs won't be fooled.
ps giving up bf as ds bites.

Tissy Sun 20-Feb-05 19:39:05

are you breastfeeding as well, or just expressing?

TracyK Sun 20-Feb-05 19:39:51

oops crossed posts - no bf anymore - ds biting!

Tissy Sun 20-Feb-05 19:43:36

you can stop the biting if you want to- I did!

When I was expressing at work, I used to swap sides several times, and would often get a second "let down". Expressing isn't nearly as stimulating to the milk supply as feeding, though, so if you're going to give up bf altogether, you're going to need to really work at increasing the supply....express as often as you can. Or, you could set your alarm and express very early in the morning, when the prolactin levels are at their peak.

Good luck

NotQuiteCockney Sun 20-Feb-05 19:43:42

There are some good ways to stop them biting, lots of threads on this already, in the archives.

Expressing for longer might help, at those two times - just keep switching boobs. Relax, read or go online or whatever and just keep pumping. I find I get a lot more when I'm not paying attention, if you see what I mean.

pupuce Sun 20-Feb-05 19:47:52

Biting is not a problem you can't overcome... if you put him at the breast you will get more as your body will react differently to a CHILD feeding versus a machine pomping. BF is hormone driven - and it is definitely supply and demand,... try what you suggested and see if it makes a difference.

TracyK Sun 20-Feb-05 19:49:47

Thank ladies - I don't think I'd trust him not to bite me and would always be on edge so wouldn't enjoy it at all.
I really want to see him through the winter on as much bm as poss so will go and express now!

pupuce Sun 20-Feb-05 19:50:32

If he bites -he ISN'T EATING!

TracyK Sun 20-Feb-05 19:53:05

he just thinks its very funny so bites and then giggles if I say no - ouch.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 20-Feb-05 20:11:12

I'm afraid finding telling off funny doesn't stop now! Being told off should be as boring as possible. So you put the boob away if he bites. No fuss, it's just gone.

The other option, which isn't nice, but does work, is to immediately press him into the breast.

It might also work to make sure he's either sleepy while feeding, or has something to fiddle with, in his hands, to keep him busy.

It is stressful, worrying about being bitten, and it can throw off your let-down. But as pupuce says, breastfeeding a child is much easier than pumping. Less work, too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now