Talk

Advanced search

Been feeding for a year, if I stop for a weekend will I still be able to carry on?

(20 Posts)
Thomcat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:04:50

I'm weaning her off to just doing morning and night feeds anyway as am due back at work in a few weeks.

But want to do first thing in am and last thing in pm feeds for asap.

Have a weddign coming up and I'll be away, without DC, from Fri mid am to Sunday pm.

When I get back do you think I'll still be able to feed her?

(She'll be just a little under 1 year old when I go).

lizzytee Mon 01-Sep-08 22:10:02

Thomcat, should be no problem as your supply is so well established. I had to leave dd at short notice at a similar age for a family funeral and all was fine. I stopped after 15 months and found I still had a let down 4 months later when showing a friend how to use a breastpump blush

Tommy Mon 01-Sep-08 22:13:01

DS3 was 16m when I left him for a weekend. I was quite put out when he didn't demand it as soon as I got home wink but he did the net day and we just carried on as usual.

We went 4 days without a feed - I had to express the first evening I was away but after that it was fine.

Go for it - and have a nice time smile

Thomcat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:13:05

Oh thank GOD <jumps up and down and does a small happy dance on the spot!>

LackaDAISYcal Mon 01-Sep-08 22:14:04

you might want to take your pump with you as it's likely you'll get a bit engorged, but you should be able to pump say morning and nigh to maintain your supply and then take off where you left off when you get home.

Be prepared for a marathon feeding session on Sunday afternoon/evening though smile

Waswondering Mon 01-Sep-08 22:14:53

I did this when dd was 13m - went off for 2 nights, returned and picked up 2 bf/day as before . . .

Pannacotta Mon 01-Sep-08 22:17:01

You'll be fine, supply is really well established by this stage.
But agree that you'll need to take a pump with you or hand express while you are away, for your comfort!
Enjoy the wedding....

Thomcat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:23:31

Oh feel so happy and relieved.
She doesn't feed hugely these days so find it hard to believe they'll get engorged but will borrow a pump just in case. Thanks, x

Pannacotta Mon 01-Sep-08 22:26:57

You may be surprised re how much milk she has at each feed.
My DS2 is 15 months and I feed him a couple of times a day at the most (plus first and last thing) but if I miss a feed my boobs do get quite sore (not engorged but def full and a hbit swolen).

Jackstini Mon 01-Sep-08 22:31:12

Sure will be no problem. I had to leave dd for 3 nights, 4 x a year for work from when she was around 3m and I always carried on feeding when I got back (expressed when away) Did morning and night til about 1.5 and night only til she was 2.5

chipmonkey Mon 01-Sep-08 22:38:30

Thomcat, seriously take the pump. One MNer, can't remember who now, had to come home early from a business trip, she got so engorged. I left ds3 several times as a toddler and he was fine each time. Continued to feed till he was 2.8 so would have gone demented if I'd never been able to have a weekend away!

Naboo Mon 01-Sep-08 22:46:20

Thomcat - what will you give her instead? Normal milk or expressed? I have the same dilemma - mine will be just under a year, but don't know whether i should replace my breastmilk with normal milk? I don't have the means - or inclination! - to express (only away one night).

What are you going to do?

chipmonkey Mon 01-Sep-08 22:49:16

Is your breastmilk not normal then, Naboo?grin
I would still give EBM at that stage but I am a bit zealous!

Thomcat Mon 01-Sep-08 22:51:37

Ummmm, dunno actually, probably formula.
Hadn't thought about it.
Formula.
I think.

Will take pump, don't currently own one and not buying one but will find one, thanks.

Pannacotta Mon 01-Sep-08 22:57:41

ThomCat, you could give goats milk, it's closer to breast milk than cows milk and therefore easier to absorb.
I give it to my DS1 at bedtime and to DS2 if b-feed him.
You don't need to give formula to a nearly one year old just for a weekend.
You can always hand express, I found this easier than faffing around with a pump.

Thomcat Mon 01-Sep-08 23:02:17

ohhhh goats milk.
Cool.
Thanks you.
Am loving mumsnet smile

Pannacotta Mon 01-Sep-08 23:05:36

meant to say I give goats milk to DS2 if I CAN'T b-feed him!!
Hope it all works out well. Maybe worth having a dummy run before you go off, get your DP to do the bedtime feed etc so its not a complete shock to your DD.

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 23:08:24

Ooh it might hurt Thomcat! Def take a pump or be prepared to express by hand. I stopped BFing overnight (due to an emergency operation) and my norks hurt more than my scar did. DS was 9 months but I was only feeding morning and evening (he ate loads of solids by then). Was very surprised by how engorged they got as I didn't think I was still producing much.
Took well over a week to settle down though so I'm sure you'll be ok to feed again after the weekend. Might be a relief.

chipmonkey Tue 02-Sep-08 10:29:44

Ds1 and ds2 had goats milk from 1 year. Cow's milk made them mucousy and really when I think about it, I am kicking myself I didn't bf them for longer. But they were fine on the goats milk.
apparently it's something to do with the fact that goats, like humans, only have one stomach and cows have four, so a calf's digestive system can cope with more.

magnolia74 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:47:58

Ds1 was a bit older 21 months and I have just been away for a week. Supply was fine when I got back and didn't need to use a pump at all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now