Talk

Advanced search

1 year old no longer interested in milk - do I need to perservere?

(5 Posts)
Sycamoretree Mon 01-Sep-08 20:37:14

DS has just turned one. He has been bottle fed from 6 months, and went onto cows milk about a month ago with no fussing over the change from formula. However, he's increasingly just not interested in a morning and/or evening bottle. He's weaned of course, and eats like a trouper. His appetite for solids is really healthy and he has milk with his porridge in the morning, probably one yoghurt a day, and one of his meals is likely to have cheese (obviously just listing his dairy intake here!). He drinks water with a bit of juice well. Probably drinks 7oz-10 oz a day.

Do I need to keep pushing the evening bottle? I'm trying to phase them out anyway - DD (now 3) was off them from being one, but still drank a cup of milk from an avent cup at night. But she has much better motor control at this age - she could feed herself from her bottle, and also from the cup with handles. He can't do this for more than a few sips, unless he is really, really thirsty and determined. I'm sick of throwing a full cup of milk down the sink every evening. Is there any reason I should continue, or is this about the right age to stop? I just don't know because frankly, DD has only just stopped wanting a cup of milk at night so I expected DS to want it for a while yet. It doesn't bother his sleep - he's slept through for long enough now for the sleepless nights to seem a bit of a distant memory. Any thoughts/help appreciated.

negril Mon 01-Sep-08 22:12:58

it sounds like your putting to much pressure on yourself, he sounds like a healthy boy and if he dont want it then dont worry leave him to sleep he sounds as if hes satisfied, if he werent he will probabaly most definately let u know about it so chill and enjoy ur evening.

negril Mon 01-Sep-08 22:13:24

smile

Tommy Mon 01-Sep-08 22:15:21

I wouldn't worry about it too much. DS2 didn't have a night time drink after I stopped feeding him at 13m and DS1 was like your DD - he had bedtime milk until he was 6!

Sycamoretree Mon 01-Sep-08 22:27:55

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll just stop. Maybe try him again one he's able to hold the cup properly and feed himself, just to check whether he's remotely interested at that point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now