Talk

Advanced search

Expressing neurosis kicking in...

(10 Posts)
fleacircus Mon 01-Sep-08 15:28:28

8mth old DD goes to CM for 3 days a week with 12oz each day, is at home with my mum on Fridays with 8oz - it's a shorter day - and I'm with her the 5th day so can BF as normal. I've calculated that I need to express a minimum of 6oz each day I'm at work and 3oz each evening, but here I am, at work, first day back and I've only managed to get 5oz. Am spinning out. If I can't get enough will my supply also be affected? And what can I do to up the ante? And am I just being completely insane about the whole thing?

(PFB, clearly. blush)

negril Mon 01-Sep-08 22:18:19

best thing to do is to express at work i do a lot of expressing and many things can effect the amount of ur breast milk that ur producing stress, not eating enough est.

mears Mon 01-Sep-08 22:20:25

Why does she need 12oz each day? Is she not on solids?

negril Mon 01-Sep-08 23:00:51

good point u forgot to mention that, whether she is on solids or not because they dont need so much milk.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 01-Sep-08 23:06:54

Message withdrawn

mears Tue 02-Sep-08 11:18:57

When I worked with babies of that age I left 1 feed. I worked night shift as well so left a full feed then. If I needed 7oz and only had 6 then I added water to make it up.

If your DD is on solids then she does not need full bottles to drink. In fact she could go without milk at meal times if need be - you can make up for it when you get home.

fleacircus Wed 03-Sep-08 13:46:45

She is on solids, has been for two months and is doing really well. But she doesn't seem to have reduced her milk feeds much while I'm with her, and because I usually BF I don't know really how much she has. I'm sending the CM 12oz because I'm assuming 4oz mid-morning, 4oz after lunch and 4oz mid-afternoon, although so far she's not taking that much so probably I could get away with sending just two bottles. I worry about cutting the daytime milk out altogether partly because she does still accept BF during the day and also because she's very big, she was 24lbs at 6mths (and 76cm tall) and still growing fast, so I worry about her needing plenty of food.

mears Wed 03-Sep-08 20:03:52

Definitely don't need to worry. Breast feed her as normal when you are off and send what you can expressed. If you can't get enough she can have juice ot water instead.

popsycal Wed 03-Sep-08 20:18:13

I did what mears did at that age

Actually I thikn I may have done it as that is what mears said

fleacircus Thu 04-Sep-08 11:35:28

Thank you - I will try to stop worrying about it so much. DP has been saying it's fine for her to take less and she has only been accepting two lots of 4oz so far so that's what we'll send from now on. Trying to express at work is doing my head in, secondary schools at breaktime are not exactly conducive to let-down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now