Talk

Advanced search

expressing milk

(2 Posts)
happy81 Sun 31-Aug-08 09:37:25

hi,my daughter is 8 weeks old.last week i had problem with my left breast-the doctors said that is mastitis and gave me some antibiotics.they aslo adviced me to express the milk with pump.i do it now but how often shell i do it because i stumulate more and more milk.by the way i got enough. i feel my breasts tired and sore.is it normal.they have been very cracked and sore for about 1 month.thanks

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 31-Aug-08 09:46:05

Hi Happy smile

As far as I am aware you don't need to express. The doc should have given you anti-biots that allow you to carry on bf?

So, as long as the anti-biots are safe for your lo, I would carry on bf'ing from both breasts as and when your baby wants milk.

Your nipples sound like they need some help! You to see someone and check that your latch is ok as this can cause cracks. In the meantime you need to help them heal. I've found the best way is to smother them in Lansinoh (expensive, but a tube will last you forever and you don't have to wipe it off before a feed) making sure the nipple never dries out. This sounds contrary to most types of healing, but if you let your nipples dry out the cracks will get worse.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now