Talk

Advanced search

I think i've cracked it!!!!

(7 Posts)
JordTyler Sat 30-Aug-08 23:29:45

By jove i think i've done it!!! All though i may just have cursed it! We've had loeds of problems, and loads of advice. Basic back ground is,....Crappy DP causing me to give bottles within first week, lots of fighting at breast, coming on off, on off. Holiday where lots of feeds were bottles. Any way we came back off said holiday and i went back to normal, needless to say supply had dropped so DS lost weight.
Had a visit from BFC who wanted me to go down top up and express route(even got me electric pump)which i did(sort of) and he gained again. but i thought well thats what got me here in the first place! So i felt i wasn't getting any were.
Listen to me waffling! Anyway, he has had one 2oz top up all week and she is coming to weigh him mon. I think he is doing better so i am praying he has gained this week cos otherwise she said we would have to tell GP!!

So in conclusion to my essay!!! If i am just feeding him myself how long would it have/will it take to get full supply back, and is that the best way to do it? And what shall i do if he has lost weight again?

BlueBumedFly Sat 30-Aug-08 23:49:46

Well done you for carrying on with BF, you are doing a wonderful job.

I am not sure about how long it will take but I was prescribed dom peridone which is actually an anti nausea but it increases milk production. I had a section and complications so needed help and it gave me the foot up I needed to get the milk flowing again and get back on track.

If he has lost weight perhaps top up at night with a bottle and keep feeding through the day? I had to express and mix the milk with formula when I could not produce enough so at least DD was benefiting.

Good luck and well done!! xx

RedHead81 Sun 31-Aug-08 01:00:32

if you want more milk, then give more breast, not top-ups with formula!

breast breast breast is the best way for more milk - as often as you can - it won't take long.

good luck and congrats for being so determined!

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-Aug-08 10:00:53

Sorry, RedHead81 - did not make myself clear, I had to BF at night and also add a bottle as I ran out by that time, I did not substitute the bottle for BF at night. I did both as I ran dry.

I also had to get up at 2am and express if DD did not wake up for a feed to keep the flow increasing until |I was at full flow.

RedHead81 Mon 01-Sep-08 10:42:44

In that case, you've done very well and should be so pleased with your determination! Sorry for misunderstanding.

How did his weight go today?
Hope he gained well!

JordTyler Mon 01-Sep-08 12:25:39

hi there. had big weigh in, only an 80 gram gain, but we're goin the right way. Shall i try and express after feeds when i can like she advised or just keep going with just feeding at every oppertunity(sp). I don't think i would express every time as i'm to lazy, but should i put a bit more effort in?

Thanks for askin by the way RH.

BlueBumedFly Mon 01-Sep-08 15:38:53

Good news Jord, well done you. It is a big push to get milk back up but you will be pleased in the end. You only get back what the baby takes so if you want to increase then you will need to express as well for a little while until he is taking bigger and bigger feeds. Do what works for you, I know my friend was told to offer BF whenever baby wanted it to increase weight - whatever works for you and the LO.

Fab news though, keep going hun, its all worth it in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now