Talk

Advanced search

Getting very nervous about TEETH!!!!

(18 Posts)
broguemum Sat 30-Aug-08 20:38:21

OK, suspect am being pathetic here. Have managed to get to 9 months BF, DS is now on three solid meals a day and 2 snacks (we are BLW) and he still has 3 milkies - one in the morning, one mid afternoon and the one last thing in the evening.

Well, everything is going swimmingly but he's got four teeth now and I keep on remembering a horror story my friend told me about being bitten by her 12 mo, getting infected and being rushed into hospital and doing an "emergency stop". Am flinching now every time we feed. Now I realise that this is a v. unusual case but I am getting nervous and I think DS is picking up on it.

Does biting happen alot or am I getting my knickers in twist??? I don't want to introduce formula if I don't have to. What age is normal cow's milk OK? Or should I just get a mantra together??? e.g. He is not going to bite me, he is not going to bite me.....

I think this is mainly a plea for reassurance.

TIA.

TrinityRhino Sat 30-Aug-08 20:40:54

I am still feeding gecko
she is 19 months old
she has 11 teeth and us cuttung her 12th one at the mo

she has bitten me a few times and broken the skin once

it did not get infected, it hurt a little
I took her off and said no

she didn't do it anymore

each time she has bitten me has been when she is teething and after being told no she doesn't do it until shes teething again

likes I say only happen a few times

it really isn;t that bad

broguemum Sat 30-Aug-08 20:43:14

I know I'm being pathetic but I stopped BF with DD before she had teeth so this was never an issue for us. However since DD has ended up with some allergies I decided to go as long as possible with DS.
Thanks Trinity.

pushchair Sat 30-Aug-08 20:44:40

Was BF DD1 until 10 mnths. She too bit sometimes. It wasnt too bad. The fear was the worst part.

broguemum Sat 30-Aug-08 20:45:30

Any suggestions for overcoming the fear?

pushchair Sat 30-Aug-08 20:54:26

Think- it hasnt happened yet and it probably wont
My mantra in life when fretting is Everything is fine, everything is fine, everything..............

sausage1230 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:26:14

hello first of all well done, its really great to hear that other mums continue to breastfeed. My little boy has 12 teeth and 2 more coming, he did bite me over the space of one week a few months back and i was distraught, i was advised to pay close attention as when they are about to bite they pull back on the breast which means your nipple slides forwards to the front of their mouth near their teeth which sometimes if you are paying attention you can feel and remove them from the breast by placing your little finger in the corner of their mouth to break the sucktion. if you are bitten or clamped down on one method that works is to gently and quickly push their head into your breast, this means they are not able to breath so will quickly release your breast from their teeth, then say no and remove them from you lap. I said to mine ouch no biting that hurts (and tried not to scream) as that can cause a nursing strike. It is and can be really upsetting as you are calm and relaxed and then you start dreading the next feeding session, the biting stage may happen as they are getting new teeth or it may be a new sensation, mine did it once or twice accidently then when he heard me gasp did it a few more times as he thought it was funny even though he then new i didnt like it and it alsways seemed to be at the last feeding when i was really tired BUT he soon stopped when he realised i was upset and his num nums (milk) stopped he then had a cry went back on to feed, did it again and then he did stop biting and has not done it ever again, in fact sometimes he makes it really obvious he is getting off the breast and not biting by doing a big mouth and patting my boob gently, remember they arnet used to teeth and sore gums and a soft squigy boob probably feels nice to their sore mouth, although it doesnt help us much when being bitten! You can also get *nursing necklaces* on the internet which have beads and bells (all childsafe) on so if you have a biter or pincher or hairpuller you can distract them, all in all the stage if it happens is very short lived (although it seems like forever) dont be disheartened it will pass and you and your little one will gain more and more from continuing to breastfeed. x x x l;isa

StealthPolarBear Sat 30-Aug-08 21:44:22

DS is 16 months
He has been through biting phases (usually while teething) but touch wood he's always stopped. Most of the time he's not doing ti to be naughty, he just doesn't know where to "put" his new teeth
Mind you he bit me on the leg yesterday, that was the worst one yet, really hurt! So don't assume stopping bf will necessarily prevent it wink

beanbearer Sat 30-Aug-08 23:33:02

You can kind of tell if they're thinking of biting because they have to get their own tongue out of the way first. It usually happens towards the end of the feed - if you feel them coming off be ready with your finger to make sure they can't clamp down. The few times my DD did it it seemed to be experimental so perhaps that's why it wasn't too bad - but I still stayed alert to avoid it again.

Clary Sat 30-Aug-08 23:46:52

None of mine ever bit me.

Fed them all to 12 mo+. DS2 had teeth at 6mo but no problemo. I think they learn to pull them away or sthg.

NoBiggy Sat 30-Aug-08 23:51:52

I'm still feeding DD2, who is 2 next week. SHe has nipped me a few times, no damage, and I think, after a couple that may have been teething, she did it for a laugh. But she soon got the idea when I ended the feed when she did it.

The other week though, we were on the bed, I was giving her a bedtime feed. DP came in, and for a laugh, grabbed her feet and pulled her to the end of the bed. She nearly took my nipple with her. Stupid man angry

turtle23 Sun 31-Aug-08 13:17:37

I was just about to post my own thread when I saw this. DS is 22 weeks and has bitten me 5 times in the last 3 days. He has two lower front teeth and is getting 3 more. I'm not catching him in time because it's always the night feeds where I am half asleep. If it carries on I dont think I can go on, it REALLY hurts. Can you really convey to a 5 month old that what he is doing is wrong? So wanted to go another couple of months, have only just really got it perfect.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 31-Aug-08 13:34:51

turtle - recommend that if he does it again you pull him in to the breast immediately. It will block his nose and he'll release the latch in order to breathe. It will soon teach him that if he bites then he doesn't like the consequences either.

I've always found that it only really happens for a brief period when they are getting a new tooth.

DD is 2.6 years and has 16 teeth, but has never given me any more than a slight nip (still breastfed).

The case you describe really is quite unusual broguemum.

To answer your other question though, cow's milk is 'ok' from one year (as long as not allergic), but will never be as good as breastmilk!

broguemum Sun 31-Aug-08 19:56:11

Thanks everyone - Much appreciated.

I suspected I was being a bit irrational and had started obsessing about this since it was someone I know who had this happen rather than the friend of a friend's uncle's sister's brother's cleaner's daughter kind of thing wink .

Oh and I'm actually giving DS a bit of cows milk in cereal - quite small amounts though. This is OK isn't it?

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 31-Aug-08 20:08:40

Yes, some cows milk is ok from 6 months - it's just as a main drink that you need to wait until a year, as it's not nutritious enough for a wee one.

broguemum Sun 31-Aug-08 20:56:26

thank you.

cheekychopsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 10:59:01

I've had the same problem. yesterday I was bitten twice on the morning feed, and then dreaded the next two feeds all day. I hung over him with my finger ready to wip him away. It was not a very pleasent experience and I decided this morning, after another stressful feed that that was it, after 8.5 months I was giving up. After reading this thread I am more confussed... should I persever, it could just be a one off. If I do give up I am confused as to what do do re bottle feeding as feel this would be astep back. He has never taken a bottle, so this could involve huge tramas.... I don't know what to do!!!

He drinks tiny amounts of water from a sippy cup so I have been looking at b-free training cups as an alternative. Any advice please???!

wehaveallbeenthere Sat 06-Sep-08 18:26:51

All mine (3 over the course of 22 years) bit when they got their teeth. Do yourself and them a favor and bf until they start to bite. When they do, go to a pump and continue with breast milk in the bottle. You won't be anxious, they won't pick up on it and everyone will be just fine. Remember to brush the little ones teeth with a baby finger brush because they can still get decay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now