Talk

Advanced search

question for a friend .....

(19 Posts)
nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 18:55:27

she has quite large nipples and finds she cannot breastfeed discreetly at all. even when baby is latched on you can still see loads of her nipple. she wants to know if she is doing something wrong or is that just how it is for women of large nipples?

helips Sat 30-Aug-08 19:47:01

When I breastfed my ds I still had some nipple on show. As long as she doesn't have any discomfort I would presume the baby is latched on correctly. If she's worried could she ask her midwife or health visitor?

helips Sat 30-Aug-08 19:48:08

Don't know why I put breastfed, I'm still feeding him now grin

lulumama Sat 30-Aug-08 19:49:27

if there is no pain and baby is feeding well, then i don;t thikn it is an issue,baby should be getting a good mouthful of breast . but if she has large areolae, then it might be there is more visible of that area of the breast.. rather than the nipple itself?

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 19:49:40

any advice on how to feed discreetly?

charchargabor Sat 30-Aug-08 19:49:48

Is she lifting her top up to feed? Once baby is latched on she can pull her top down to baby's cheek so nothing is visible. Is baby still young? I found it took me quite a bit of practice before I could feed discreetly and easily. Now DD just helps herself! grin

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 19:50:50

so sort of tuck it under baby?

lulumama Sat 30-Aug-08 19:51:40

a large shawl? muslin?

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 19:52:29

her baby doesn't like being under a muslin/shawl.

helips Sat 30-Aug-08 19:52:37

I wear a vest top under my normal top and when I need to feed pull the first top up and the vest top down. That way I am not exposing my flabby tummy and can pull the first top over any exposed bit of boob once ds is latched on. Hope that makes sense!

lulumama Sat 30-Aug-08 19:53:14

then she might need to accept that part of her upper breast will be on show? is it her nipple or areola that is showing

charchargabor Sat 30-Aug-08 19:53:55

Just pull it down to where the baby's cheek touches the breast. Am I explaining it ok? I think I'm confusing myself blushsmile Between baby's head and the top there shouldn't be much on show. Has she watched herself feed in front of a mirror? She may find that a lot less flesh is on show to others than she thinks! Looking down you can see a lot more.

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 19:54:04

i think she does do that already but is more bothered about nipple being on show than tummy. she is quite slim already.

charchargabor Sat 30-Aug-08 19:55:18

I've also done what helips said. I was a lot more conscious of my belly than my boob though.

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 19:57:16

char - does that work for the football hold too?

egyptianprincess Sat 30-Aug-08 20:00:53

there are great feeding aprons called bebe au lait (formerly called hooter hiders ). they are the best things i ever bought! i got mine through an internet company called maternity and nursing i think.

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 20:01:54

is that not the same for baby as being covered by a muslin though?

traceybath Sat 30-Aug-08 20:06:14

well fitting vest tops and a cardigan is my best tip for discretion.

vest top up - latch baby on and then push vest top so its down to babie's nose basically.

cardigan shields all this from view.

and get her to practice in front of a mirror if nervous - she's probably revealing less than she thinks.

charchargabor Sat 30-Aug-08 20:15:16

Yes should work for the football hold. There's always a bit more on show with the football hold, but the top should cover the actual areola. If there's any other bits of boob on show, she could always cover them with a muslin rather than the baby IYSWIM. DD wouldn't allow herself to be covered either so I'm pretty practised at this grin I would tell your friend not to worry, really. Probably noone's looking to see anything, although I know you do feel self-conscious at first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now