Talk

Advanced search

Nice nursing dress for wedding?

(17 Posts)
Flowermum Sat 30-Aug-08 17:27:54

DPs brother is getting married when DC2 will be about 6 weeks old and I'm hoping to be breastfeeding at the time.

By the time DD was that age she was being supplemented so I have no idea what to expect, except that I'll need easy access for on demand feeding.

The wedding is in a registry office and afters in some sort of function centre (I wasn't really listening...) and we're staying in self catering apartments with DPs family who are really not approving of breastfeeding at all. And I'd really rather not flash them with my giant boobies.

So I need something that will keep me covered, be comfortable and flattering. Pre pregnancy I was about a 14-16 and I really haven't put much weight on this time but will obviously still have my big flabby belly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, budget is PAINFULLY tight as just getting to this sodding thing is costing more than we can afford really. Grrr...

frogmarsh Sat 30-Aug-08 17:43:37

I went to a wedding recently with 3 week old dd and wore a lovely dress from monsoon. It was empire line with a tie back but with buttons around the breast area for easy access - hope that makes sense - it was very flattering. cost c. £40

MrsBadger Sat 30-Aug-08 18:22:25

skirt and top
skirt and top
skirt and top

much easier and you probably have at least one half of the outfit in yr wardrobe already

Flowermum Sun 31-Aug-08 13:50:21

Hmmm... that's true, I could probably wear a skirt I already have and then just buy a nursing top...

I like this one but they probably wouldn't appreciate it...

alexpolismum Sun 31-Aug-08 14:08:43

Flowermum - I put some links to sites selling nursing clothing on the "support for breastfeeding for 6 months" thread, they're on page 5 if you're interested. You might find something nice there.

Sam100 Sun 31-Aug-08 14:27:37

Agree with MrsBadger - skirt and top much easier! Pop a nice pashmina or shawl with it and you will be sorted for feeding.

Went to a wedding with ds aged 4 weeks and had to nip to the back of the church mid service for a feed (and about 3 times during reception etc etc etc).

Flowermum Sun 31-Aug-08 15:47:48

CAn't find that thread alexpolismum but did come across mamanana.com which seems to have some good bargains. Would it be silly to buy a top in the sales now, not know quite what size I'll be in a few months?

mrsgboring Sun 31-Aug-08 16:03:45

You don't need a nursing top either, just something fairly loose that won't crease hideously if you lift it up.

If you can put a jacket or shawl over, it will be very discreet.

If you wear a jacket and skirt you may be able to get away with a pretty fitted t-shirt.

HolidaysQueen Sun 31-Aug-08 16:16:09

it sounds like i'm a similar size to you - 14/16 with big boobs

the thing that has worked for me is a vest top with a wrap dress - can loosen the wrap dress and pull that down then pull the vest up. wrap dresses are also very forgiving on voluptuous post-baby figures. in fact they're more than forgiving - they make you look bloody great

Flowermum Mon 01-Sep-08 10:52:12

Hadn't thought of a wrap dress. Something stretchy or not stretchy?
Then I suppose with tights and boots and I could be ready for a wedding in Edinburgh in the dead of winter?

HolidaysQueen Mon 01-Sep-08 10:59:10

I don't like them too stretchy as they are clingy. I tend to either go for ones that have a fuller skirt or are made from slightly thicker fabric so that they aren't so clingy around my bum. Monsoon dresses are usually pretty good if you are curvaceous. I just wore one for a wedding that wasn't a wrap dress but still provided dead easy access to boobs.

GillianLovesMarmite Mon 01-Sep-08 11:00:32

I just bought this from coast to wear to a wedding with black trousers - figured it would also be good for nights out etc - neckline is v stretchy! http://www.coast-stores.com/fcp/product/-/ALLTops/Lidia-Ruched-Top/2374846828

GillianLovesMarmite Mon 01-Sep-08 11:01:26

Oh - and the ruched body is v flattering for belly worries - main reason i bought it grin

BellaBear Mon 01-Sep-08 11:04:29

I wore this to a wedding last week

mostly cotton. navy not my first choice for dress to wedding but dressed it up with a bright necklace, shoes and shawl.

ladymac Mon 01-Sep-08 11:05:44

I agree with holidaysqueen. I went to a wedding feeding an 8 week old. I already had a wrap dress in my wardrobe but boobs were so big I had to wear a co-ordinating colour vest top. It looked nice as it gave me some semblance of a waist! Plus the feeding is discreet - I moved the wrap dress over and lifted up the vest. This way you show hardly any flesh. Would look good with boots. You want something with a bit of stretch in it.

chipmonkey Mon 01-Sep-08 12:13:56

I have ordered this dress for ds4's Christening. but probably would be great for a wedding if the bride is wearing white! They charge a lot for shipping to Ireland, Flowermum but because the dollar is so weak against the Euro it has actually worked out fine.

chipmonkey Mon 01-Sep-08 12:38:44

wouldn't be great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now