Talk

Advanced search

Help! What is this painful black spot on my nipple??

(11 Posts)
Poledra Sat 30-Aug-08 13:11:51

OK, desperately needing help ladies. I have been feeding my 6-week old baby with no problems. During the night last night, I had bad pains in my right breast. On investigation, I have a small black spot on the nipple, which seems to have a white centre. DH reckons it looks like a blood blister. I have been feeding the baby through it, but it quite honestly feels like someone is sticking a needle into me. I have no signs of a blocked duct or mastitis, and the rest of my breast feels fine. Does anyone know what this is, and is there anything else I can do to stop the pain?

monthlymayhem Sat 30-Aug-08 13:30:00

I'm sure I read on here about something called 'white spot' (if you do a search you might find links) and from memory I think the cure was to 'pop' the spot as it is blocking milk and causing the pain.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon though

monthlymayhem Sat 30-Aug-08 13:38:41

This is the thread I mentioned above - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1364/4692

LackaDAISYcal Sat 30-Aug-08 13:42:14

some information on milk blisters here smile

You need to speak to verylittlecarrot as she is an expert a martyr to them.

If you do a search under her name with milk blister in the title box you should find lots of posts.

Poledra Sat 30-Aug-08 13:53:12

Thanks for these - my only concern is that, although there is a white centre to the spot, it's black behind it (I'm assuming it's blood
) - d'you think it would be OK to try and 'pop' it?

LackaDAISYcal Sat 30-Aug-08 14:23:09

You might find some useful adice on this thread. the "daisy" in there is me smile

Is it just your nipple or does there appear to be a swollen/sore area on the breast itself?

Not sure about the black behind it. Is there a BFC you can perhaps see over the weekend?

LackaDAISYcal Sat 30-Aug-08 14:25:02

It could have some pooled blood behind it if DD has been compressing your nipple when feeding if her latch isn't spot on.

I would try some hot flannels and some gentle pressure to see if you can clear it, but go gently smile

Poledra Sat 30-Aug-08 14:32:19

Thanks Daisy - there's no soreness or redness on my breast so I'm not sure that it's a blocked duct. I've had blocked ducts/mastitis/cracked nipples before (bfed my other 2 dds as well, so not all at once grin) and it doesn't feel like any of these. However, I'm off to try the hot bath/gentle massage thing. Thanks for replying.

Poledra Sat 30-Aug-08 15:29:31

It worked, it's gone!! Soaked my boob in the hot water for a while, then massaged it gently (still under water) with my fingertips, and it must have 'popped'. Have also tried feeding dd and it's was sore for the latch-on but the pain faded through the feed - fantastic. Thanks to you both and to verylittlecarrot smile

LackaDAISYcal Sat 30-Aug-08 19:28:30

grin fantastic news poledra.

sweetkitty Sat 30-Aug-08 21:14:39

Great news poledra I wanted to know what it was as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now