Talk

Advanced search

How much formula is anyone giving their 3 month old?

(13 Posts)
Bec132 Thu 28-Aug-08 20:11:10

I'm not sure if she is getting enough to enable her to sleep through the night. She generally feeds at 6.30am, 10.30am, 2.15pm, 6.15pm and 11.00pm - anywhere between 6-8 oz. she has started to wake at 4 or 5am so has a few ozs then aswell. Any ideas to get her to sleep better?
Not sure if she needs to feed more often, but its a struggle to get the bottle into her anyway, usually takes 45 mins!

angel1976 Thu 28-Aug-08 20:28:28

My DS is now 6 months. Hardly took more than 30 oz a day, more usually about 25 oz and I struggle to get that down him. Some days easier than others. But he's growing well and following a growth line just under 50% and weaning is going well as well. So I think every baby is different. She sounds like she is getting plenty. However, she is still very young. DS at that age would get up once anytime from 3/4/5am... Gradually he pushed that back and now gets up between 6/7am and we are considering dropping the 11pm feed as he is not hungry in the morning for his morning bottle. My rule of thumb at that time was if he wakes before 4am, I gave him about 4 oz as he is obviously hungry. If he wakes after 4am, I only gave him 3 oz so that he doesn't lose interest in his morning feed. If she is feeding well in the morning, my guess is that she still needs that middle-of-the-night feed. That is my experience. I am no expert though. When she starts losing interest in the morning feed or starts taking less, I think that is when you can consider cutting back or dropping the middle-of-the-night feed. GL!

Seona1973 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:46:08

your lo is sleeping great for 3 months!! My dd slept through at 5 1/2 months and ds didnt manage it till 8 months. Your lo will sleep through when they are ready and it is not all about food - it is also developmental as it is something that they learn to do.

Bec132 Fri 29-Aug-08 07:25:39

Thanks for the advice. I sometimes struggle to tell if she is hungry in the middle of the night as sometimes Ive put her thumb back in and she has gone back off to sleep, other times she has cried again so ive fed her. Not sure if she is just waking out of habit? She didn't feed during the night last night but at 6.30 when I fed her she only had 3 ozs, i then had to wait half an hour to get another 4 in!
Is anyone else finding being a mother really hard - I worry about everything from feeding to getting her to sleep in her cot during the day! I never thought I would worry this much!

BouncingTurtle Fri 29-Aug-08 08:27:06

Welcome to motherhood! I think anyone who says they never worry at some point or other, is lying smile
However, if you are getting anxious on a frequent basis, it may be that you need a little extra support. Have you got a sympathetic HV you could have a chat to about how you are feeling?

lauraloola Sat 30-Aug-08 18:22:28

Dd is 12 weeks this week. She will have 3 3oz bottles and 3 4/5 oz bottles a day. Somedays more. She sleeps from 10pm to 8am and if she wakes before 7am I put her dummy back in and she goes back to sleep - I used to give her a bottle aswell and she would only have 1 or 2 oz but I find she only wants something to suck on.

How much does your dd weigh Bec?

Lib76 Sat 30-Aug-08 20:35:28

my ds is 12 wks and takes 6oz 5 x daily. feeds at 11pm (dream feed) then he sometimes stirs about 4 ish. go and and cuddle him and he goes back down, then feeds again about 630. it sounds quite normal to me. my ds was until this week still takeing 2oz when he woke in night but has seemed to stop that now (fingers crossed! )

Kezzastar Sat 30-Aug-08 21:11:15

Hi I'm new to this site. My daughter is 5 months old and I started weaning her at 4 months. She loves her food, especially rusks and jar food. I'm a bit worried as for about 3 weeks she has only drank about 15oz of milk a day. I have tried and tried to get her to drink more but at the end of the day they will only drink what they want to. She has 3 small bowls of food during the day after her feeds but I'm just concerned that she is not getting enough milk?? I mentioned it to someone and they said that it didn't sound right??! Has anyone else had this problem, and is 15oz a day enough? Can someone please help...

angel1976 Sun 31-Aug-08 15:58:20

Hi Kezzastar, the recommendation for after 6 months (when your LO is on 3 solid meals a day) is at least 20 oz of milk a day, though you can count what you use in cooking as well. I made sure my LO still took mostly milk till he was 6 months old (I started weaning at about 22 weeks). He is 27 weeks now and still on about 23 oz though he is on 3 small solid meals a day (some days he will refuse a meal etc but I try not to worry!). I would try dropping one meal or have her take smaller meals if you want to up her milk intake till she is 6 months old? Also, rusk is very sweet, could that be spoiling her appetite for milk? I don't give my LO straight rusk (I read on here that one rusk as lots of sugar!), what I do is crushed one up and add that to cooked apple to make apple crumble and then add yoghurt to it so it's not so sweet. Hope that helps!

Bec132 Tue 02-Sep-08 17:21:20

had a bad few days she is now only taking about 5oz a feed ( 5 times a day)and that is a struggle! normally takes 50 mins of trying to get that in! she is still putting on weight, she weights 13lb at 14 weeks - average i think.
i just wish it wasn't so hard to feed her. she takes the first 4oz then cries when i try to give her more - she eventually takes another oz or so after 30 mins! going to try variflo teats see if that makes a difference. i feel really stressed out with it, any advice?

Seona1973 Tue 02-Sep-08 19:54:04

Bec132, have you tried a faster teat as 50 minutes sounds a long time to do a feed at that age? p.s. if your lo gives up at 4oz then let her as she may well have had enough.

angel1976 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:02:25

Hi Bec132, I agree with Seona1973. Don't force it too much. My DS never took that much milk, still doesn't. I worry on a day-to-day and go from thinking he-is-absolutely-fine-just-not-a-big-milk-drinker to oh-my-god-i-am-starving him... Now that he is being weaned, he has dropped his milk intake even more... We are down to about 20oz today and he is only having small solid meals. But he got weighed on Monday and the HVs are very happy with him! I asked once how I could get more milk into him and they told me just to make what he can drink, rather than what I want him to drink. Good advice there!

Bec132 Wed 03-Sep-08 08:32:27

thanks for all the advice. think I'll still make 7oz bottles because sometimes she takes it and other times 5 or 6. Just wish it wasn't so hard work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now