Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I was told today that breastfeeding does not benefit the immune system after 6 months

(8 Posts)
MarlaSinger Thu 28-Aug-08 18:01:07

and worst of all it was by my mum

I asked where she hed it, she said 'all the experts say it'

I said 'well they are not experts then'

but she tutted and looked away like she thought 'yeah right what do you know'

am so

MarlaSinger Thu 28-Aug-08 18:01:28

I asked where she heard it, even blush

3andnomore Thu 28-Aug-08 18:09:59

well, she obviously doesn't know much than, does she....it is such a ridiculous idea that all of the sudden breastmilk is losing all it's "power"...
funny enough the pain relief experts seem to agree that the childs immune system is not properly develloped until the age of 6....hm...not that I believe everything I see in an add, you know....but it rings true...

combustiblelemon Thu 28-Aug-08 18:16:00

Yup. Had you not noticed the LED clock counting down from 6 months on your nipples? As soon as it hits zero, all goodness disappears.

ItsMrsMommaFeelGoodToYou Thu 28-Aug-08 18:17:03

Message withdrawn

ItsMrsMommaFeelGoodToYou Thu 28-Aug-08 18:18:24

Message withdrawn

snuffy143 Thu 28-Aug-08 18:27:26

It is not that your breastmilk stops containing antibodies...breastmilk continues to be packed full of antibodies. It is to do with the maturity of a baby's digestive system. At birth, a baby's small intestine is very "leaky" and the large protein molecules that antibodies are made from pass into the blood easily. As the baby gets older (no idea if 6 months is the magic cut off, though!), the intestine matures and the antibodies don't pass as easily. However, they still have benefit actually in the gut, as far as I know e.g. protection against D&V.

And, anyway, you breast feed for a whole number of reasons...the immunity thing is only part of it. I imagine your Mum disapproves of extended breast feeding. I fed my 2 up to the age of 2 and they are very healthy! Good enough evidence for me of the benefit of breastmilk, past 6 months or not!

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 18:37:06

Just say, oh that's interesting, smile sweetly and do what you want to do.

My mother and MIL are full of such pearls of wisdom. Best I got was don't let LO sit even though he can do it all by himself or he'll get a curved spine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now