Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just remind me I'm normal....

(22 Posts)
SoftFroggie Fri 18-Feb-05 21:36:29

I breastfed DS1 for 10 months (6 mo no formula, then mixed when i returned to work). I'm now breastfeeding DS2, who is 2 mo, and would like to for at least as long as DS1.

However, I have moved, and now know no-one who has bf beyond 3 mo. I'm just feeling a bit peculiar bfing DS2 (who is, remember, only 2 mo) at the toddler groups we go to, surrounded by mums with babies and bottles, and friends who never bf their babes at all.

Just remind me that what I'm doing is absolutely fine, please.

beansprout Fri 18-Feb-05 21:37:18

You are completely normal and what's more, you are doing the very best thing possible for your baby. Nice one you

hoxtonchick Fri 18-Feb-05 21:37:30

you are doing brilliantly SF, well done. hope you carry on for as long as you want to.

jane313 Fri 18-Feb-05 21:37:46

you are normal!

That must be difficult if you are the only one

Yorkiegirl Fri 18-Feb-05 21:39:53

Message withdrawn

vicdubya Fri 18-Feb-05 21:40:42

Good for you SF.

I'm still going at 11 months & intending to continue for a while yet.

Most of the other mums I know from postnatal groups etc have stopped now, I am proud to be still going, still enjoying it, still giving ds the best I can etc etc.

Be proud too!

milward Fri 18-Feb-05 21:41:39

I've had this experience at playgroups - just do your thing - don't let any well meaning comments get to you. Best wishes

ionesmum Fri 18-Feb-05 21:46:21

I used to feel judged every time I bottle fed dd1. Now I'm b/feeding dd2 I'm ashamed to say I feel very smug

And think of all the faffing about all those other mums have to do with sterilising, mixing etc.

HappyMumof2 Fri 18-Feb-05 21:46:23

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Fri 18-Feb-05 21:47:58

Think of it as doing your bit to make bf-ing more visible

Bozza Fri 18-Feb-05 21:48:21

You're normal!

ChocolateGirl Fri 18-Feb-05 21:48:44

SF, you are not only normal, you are fantastic! You are doing what is best for your baby and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I felt pressured to give solids from about 4 months but held out till 6 months - which I still feel was totally the right thing to do - but I wish there had been more support from those closest to me. None of my friends did this, but anyone who knows anything about breastfeeding will tell you it is best, so keep going and just ignore well-intentioned friends who say "that baby's hungry!"

Your son is thriving on your breastmilk, there is nothing better for him in the first six months of life, and you will know when he is ready for solids.

All best wishes to you, I have nothing but support & admiration for you! There are other mums out there doing the same as you, just a shame it's so hard to find them.

Fran1 Fri 18-Feb-05 21:51:22

You are sooooooo normal! I bf dd until she was two.

But its horrible isn't it, i felt the same as you, and after a year, i only told people close to me that i was still bf as i got so many odd looks.

But believe me you are very very normal!!

SoftFroggie Fri 18-Feb-05 21:53:24

I'm making it very visible, SD, when I lunge across the room mid-feed to extract DS from causing trouble, with breast wobbling in the breeze ! Not doing much for all those people who are put off because they don't want to show their breasts in public. They've no idea how discretely I can feed when I'm not chasing a toddler at the same time .

Thanks for all the encoraging messages. I'm almost tearful about it tonight, which is daft, as I'm not a peer-pressure kind of person. And good for all of you who also know how odd it is to be the only one!

ks Fri 18-Feb-05 21:53:45

Message withdrawn

HunkerMunker Fri 18-Feb-05 21:55:52

If you're not normal, then nor am I DS is nearly 11 months old and shows no sign of stopping breastfeeding - nor do I have any intention of stopping. He has EBM when I'm at work and me whenever he wants the rest of the time.

What you're doing is absolutely fine, totally wonderful and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Love your nickanme too, SoftFroggie

spod Fri 18-Feb-05 21:56:04

still feeding my 16 month old... although not necessary in public, most people think its odd, except for a few freinds... I just dont care what other people think, i know its best for dd! keep going!

hewlettsdaughter Fri 18-Feb-05 21:57:56

What you're doing is perfectly fine, of course it is.
Is it La Leche League that have groups where bf'ing mothers meet up? Have you looked into whether there's anything like that near you that you can get to?

bobbybob Sat 19-Feb-05 08:20:59

By 3 months virtually all my antenatal group had given up, so I went to La Leche League meetings. I then joined a mother and baby group but the last one there gave up at 8 months and so I was on my own again. Ds is 2 this week and I'm still the only one, but I'm used to it now!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 19-Feb-05 08:24:04

Our local NCT coffee mornings seem to only have one or two breastfeeders these days. And most of the kids are under 6 months! I don't know what's changed, it's very odd.

I'm BF for the second time around, and made it to 18 months last time, so it's not embarassing me, so much as pissing me off.

hercules Sat 19-Feb-05 09:17:05

The average age for weaning world wide is 4 years so you're far from abnormal.

sassy Sat 19-Feb-05 09:53:22

Hi SF,
You are a star! I am currently breastfeeding dd2 (aged 6 wks) and intend to keep going until she is at least 6 mo, like I did with her big sister. I'm too vain/selfish to go much beyond that - my 38H boobs just get to me after a while- but totally applaud those who choose to do so.
Of the 3 people i know who had babies lst month, i am the only one who breatsfed for longer than 24 hours, even though all of us said we intended to. I could feel peculiar/unusual i suppose, but i choose to feel very proud of myself for doing this, persevering through cracked nips, horrid latch-on pain etc. IMO it is the BEST thing for babies; i have no problem with mums who bottle-feed and would never criticise them but it is not for me.
Well done you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now