Talk

Advanced search

did anyone NOT get sore nipples?

(40 Posts)
trishpops Thu 28-Aug-08 10:41:49

forgive me if this has been done to death, but is there ayone out there who didn't get sore nipples when they began bfing? in all the literature i've read it says it won't hurt if you're doing it 'right'. i've never met anyone who didn't experience some cracking or bleeding, whether they fed for a week or months and months.

mishymoo Thu 28-Aug-08 10:43:44

I guess I am one of the lucky ones!

The only time I got sore nipples was when DS first tooth came through and he bit me!

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 28-Aug-08 10:45:50

Message withdrawn

PortAndLemon Thu 28-Aug-08 10:48:17

I never got sore, cracked or bleeding nipples either time. I don't bang on about it because it doesn't seem very tactful when others have had so much trouble.

Romy7 Thu 28-Aug-08 10:48:25

nah. v sore and bleeding during the initial period, and then fed like a dream forever...

it's a bit like 'you will lose weight breastfeeding' - a popular myth round here...

Umlellala Thu 28-Aug-08 10:53:54

First time, yes, got sore and cracked/bleeding nips. Not to mention the toe-curling agony of the first latch shock - I was gearing myself up for it this time but no, first couple of days pain-free then a bit of soreness (and tingly pain especially with let-down at first) but no bleeding or cracking so far (6 weeks of constant feeding) - have nearly a whole tube of unused Lansinoh...

Have to say that any soreness subsided when I checked the latch, again and again (thanks Mars smile)

eilidhfi Thu 28-Aug-08 10:55:56

I had cracked nipples for a few days after dd was born and haven't had any problems since. But like P&L I wouldn't bang on about it, it's not very helpful. Oh and I did lose weight breastfeeding.

<shuts up now> grin

noolia Thu 28-Aug-08 10:56:52

I didn't - but I think that's because dd is a very slow feeder! So I paid the price in incredibly long feeds! And I used lots of lansioh to start with.

dereelicte Thu 28-Aug-08 10:57:11

My nipples were fine. I get the impression I was v lucky.

MarsLady Thu 28-Aug-08 10:57:59

Never even when bfing the twins.

mangolassi Thu 28-Aug-08 10:58:01

I didn't get sore nipples when I started bf, but I think it's luck rather than 'doing it right'. Friends with cracked nipples all said it got better after a few weeks (well, 8-12 anyway).I do have nasty stretchmarks if that evens things up a bit?

I had to stop bf dd when she was about 19 months - I'd been away from her for 5 days (in hospital) and when I came back it was paaainful. I hope I would have put up with it if it had been bad when she was tiny, but at 19 m I just stopped. We both still miss it a bit though...

MrsTittleMouse Thu 28-Aug-08 11:01:52

I had sore nipples at first. The MW said that it was normal and would go away. And it did. The only time they bled was when she bit me, though. Ouch!

halogen Thu 28-Aug-08 11:05:04

I didn't really have sore nipples. I had what I'd describe as 'mild discomfort' for a week or so. I think I was very lucky.

TheCrackFox Thu 28-Aug-08 13:15:03

No, no pain at all. I know I was very lucky so I normally keep that info to myself in RL.

InTheDollshouse Thu 28-Aug-08 13:20:49

No pain or problems at the start here either. Like others have said, I don't feel it's v tactful to shout about it though!

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 13:23:07

I've been one of the lucky ones too. My mum had cracked and bleeding nipples when she fed me so I expected problems but didn't have any.

The MW that looked after me in the last trimester suggested scrubbing my nipples with a rough flannel every night to toughen them up. I thought it was odd but did it anyway and it seemed to work.

pinkblossom Thu 28-Aug-08 13:25:41

Think I was very lucky too. I had no pain whatsoever and no soreness. Like others have said it's something I keep to myself in RL. I didn't have a clue what I was doing TBH but guess it was down to a lot of luck with me.

Sidge Thu 28-Aug-08 13:26:01

I didn't have sore or cracked nipples with any of mine. I didn't use nipple cream either.

However I did get that toe-curling sensation for the first 20 seconds or so of each feed for the first week or two!

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 13:26:33

With dd 3 I did but dd4 not once .

MissisBoot Thu 28-Aug-08 13:27:21

No pain here either - no idea why - although think it was helped by dd latching on really well the first time she fed.

wasabipeanut Thu 28-Aug-08 13:29:28

I didn't. I had a tiny bit of blood on 1 3 nights after ds was born but that was it. I did get the eye watering sensation for a few seconds after he's latched on for the 1st couple of weeks but that went quickly.

I assumed I was extremely lucky.

StealthPolarBear Thu 28-Aug-08 13:59:23

I have been feeding for 16 months
Have had the odd time when nipple has been a bit sore but that has definitely been due to lazy latch - fixed instantly by changing position.
I've also had the odd time (2 or 3 times) where my nipples just felt overused.
Have also had a couple of bites.
In general - nothing, even in the early days. Even the pain I've had (as I described) has never been that bad - I've seen some people wince while feeding, never been that bad.

likessleep Thu 28-Aug-08 14:06:07

I am so envy. Incredible pain for about 5 months! Still makes me squirm remembering it. I used to cry in pain (and DS had colic/wanted feeding every evening 6-12). YEOUCH. Still feeding him at 11 months and it is lovely now, no pain whatsoever and very quick, but blimey, took us ages to get sorted.
I so hope any future littlins we may have are more comfortable to feed and along the lines of any of your experiences (sigh!)

PeppermintPatty Thu 28-Aug-08 14:12:13

No cracked / sore nipples here. I didn't use nipple cream either.
I did get mastitis though

TheCrackFox Thu 28-Aug-08 14:13:20

likesleep - if it cheers you up I got an abcess on my stitches and need to be re-admitted! I think the pregnancy God must have thought I had suffered enough. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now