Talk

Advanced search

Nipple pain - thrush perhaps??

(5 Posts)
catec Wed 27-Aug-08 16:50:10

I have been breastfeeding for one month and have recently started getting stinging nipples (both sides) when I am due for a feed and/or at the start of every feed. It goes about 10 secs after starting the feed though. Is this normal or could it be a symptom of thrush? DD has a white tongue (but not sure whether it is just milk residue), and also a persistent nappy rash which I'm thinking could be fungal?
Advice appreciated...

Lucypearl Wed 27-Aug-08 18:05:16

My dd and I got what I think was thrush at 6 weeks. It felt really nippy when my milk let down and my nipples just felt a bit irritated and itchy. DD also had white tongue but tbh she still does so not sure if that's just a milk coating? We got a prescription from our HV - cream for my nipples and gel for dd mouth. Died down pretty quickly.

Getthekettleon Wed 27-Aug-08 18:23:54

The stinging could be the normal sensation of the breasts being full of milk and the let-down! I get this feeling when I'm fit to pop! As DD starts to feed on one, the other tingles like mad. If you aren't in pain I wouldn't worry.
If it is thrush you can get over the counter thrust cream for baby's mouth. Apply to nipple's and baby's mouth (need two tubes one for you one for baby).

LackaDAISYcal Wed 27-Aug-08 18:31:39

thrush typically manifests itself as pain towards the end of the feed and for some time afterwards.

agree that the tingling sounds like your let-down reflex kicking in and is perfectly normal.

some information on thrush from kellymom though fyi.

If you have any canesten 1% cream it's perfectly safe to put that on the baby's bottom to see whether it clears the rash or not.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 27-Aug-08 18:33:12

getthekettleon, oral daktarin is no longer indicated for babies under four months due to the risk of choking on a big gobbet of the gel. OP would need to see the GP for a prescription for nystatin drops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now