Talk

Advanced search

How often should I be breastfeeding now I have started weaning?

(7 Posts)
jennymac Wed 27-Aug-08 14:15:52

I started weaning my ds at six months, he is 7 mths now, and am unsure how often I should be breastfeeding. He is not taking great to the solids - fine with the fruit but not great with veg and cereal, altho I am obviously persisting with both. I am in a quandary ref bf as I don't want to feed him too much milk and put him off his solids but don't want to starve him either. He would bf all day if he could - more for comfort tho as he loves dozing off mid feed! Any advice?

MissisBoot Wed 27-Aug-08 14:18:14

Its difficult - you're kind of in limbo really at this stage.

I used to still give dd a bf first thing, then mid morning, afternoon and bedtime irrc.

Then at about a year I dropped the afternoon feed.

beansprout Wed 27-Aug-08 14:19:35

Just keep feeding him. He will take more food when he is ready. smile

TheProvincialLady Wed 27-Aug-08 14:19:38

I would carry on with BF how you do already for a while yet. Milk is his main food for a long time yet and it is not a concern that he isn't as interested in veg and cereal yet. He has ages to get a taste for it. My DS didn't start liking savoury food until his was nearly one but he eats very well now at 23m. At the moment food is just for enjoyment and getting used to new tastes and textures. You will find that he suddenly shows real interest when he is ready.

Catilla Wed 27-Aug-08 14:20:16

While the quantities are still tiny and the solids don't include much protein/carbs, you should keep the amount of milk much as it was. Probably around 4-5 feeds per day at this age?

MrsJamin Wed 27-Aug-08 14:20:48

My DS is 8 months next week and I don't think he's getting any less milk now than at 6 months. It depends how much quantity he is getting from solids - I am doing baby led weaning so as he is self-feeding, not a lot is going down yet. The idea is that food is for fun until they're one - i.e. they are learning a lot about food but still get most of their calories from milk. I guess it depends on whether you want to drop feeds or whether you want him to decide when to drop feeds. I'm doing 'baby led' so I'm waiting for him to show me he doesn't want any, or if he takes so little at a feed that I could drop it and he wouldn't notice any difference.

jennymac Wed 27-Aug-08 14:36:37

Thanks everyone - I feel much more reassured now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now