Talk

Advanced search

Idle speculation...... affect of perfumes/deodorants/body lotions on early bf .... any thoughts?

(3 Posts)
Tittybangbang Wed 27-Aug-08 11:24:27

....have been mulling on the role of smell in early instinctive bf behaviours in babies. Wonder if anyone has done any research into this issue because I would have thought that mothers being drenched in synthetic scents might affect the way her baby responds to her in the first few hours of life. I personally use very few products on myself - rarely use deodorant, don't use soap except on my armpits, don't use body lotions, or scents of any sort and never really have. I suspect I'm unusual and that many women use a lot of these products - especially to 'freshen themselves up' after birth.

Wonder if this thought has crossed anyone else's mind....

smile

gingerninja Wed 27-Aug-08 11:28:45

I don't use anything sented. Never wear deodorant and so if anything smell kind of natural. I struggled to establish breastfeeding in the begining and it wasn't until my DD was about 8 weeks that I 'got it'. Lady in the bed opposite at the midwife centre where I delivered was spraying perfume all over the day after delivery and her DD BF immediately with no probs.

I don't like scented stuff and really didn't like using anything even body lotion when BF because wanted DD to smell me not something artificial but I'm not sure it made a difference in either of our cases.

morningpaper Wed 27-Aug-08 11:29:51

Yes this is a good point ... I felt instinctively that scents and deodorants were not great in the early days particularly when baby was shoving face in my armpit while feeding, and I didn't use anything for the first few months. It just seemed logical, as babies are such ANIMAL beings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now