Talk

Advanced search

I am a breastfeeding SLAVE to my 7 month old!

(17 Posts)
MalikaAndMungo Tue 26-Aug-08 16:05:44

hello all
DS2 is teething and waking several times every night at the mo...When I go and see to him, all I can do to calm him is bf him, and he then gets a full milk feed. This is RIDICULOUS! But if I try and just cuddle him to get him back to sleep he tries to wrestle me. Any ideas? Being such a large chap, the wrestling is quite scary! grin But seriously - does anyone else just give in to the boob, and does anyone have any ideas how to get over this? I am just so so tired it's the easiest thing. Letting him cry it out is perhaps an option but I'm worried he will wake DS1. And DH is away for a week!
Thankssssss!

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Aug-08 16:09:06

yes, I just give boob. he needs comfort, you're providing that.
it won't be forever

BouncingTurtle Tue 26-Aug-08 16:10:02

There is a growth spurt at 7mo, it might just be this! My ds, who will be 8mo tomorrow, went through this about 3 weeks ago. He was waking 5-6 times a night, but has been getting better and is now down to twice a night.

MerlinsBeard Tue 26-Aug-08 16:10:25

erm my 6 mo has always done that!!

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 26-Aug-08 16:11:49

I just gave boob at that age - my sympathies tho, sleep deprivation is terrible. Have you got anyone else to help you out while DH is away?

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 16:34:13

Agree, just give boob

MalikaAndMungo Tue 26-Aug-08 19:18:05

Thanks girls! I want to print that on a tshirt - JUST GIVE BOOB. I guess it's silly to be fighting it.
I am in Damascus by the way (in Syria)so I can't tell you how comforting it is to have nice comforting English advice!

MelissaM Wed 27-Aug-08 12:24:56

My dd went through exactly the same at 7 mo. Was waking several times in the night and only settled if bf. It doesn't last for long (although seems like it at the time). Could be a growth spurt as with DD. You could try increasing food in daytime too, but at night is easiest just to give boob, or offer cup of water if just thirsty.
Good luck

aitch66 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:16:48

Going through the same thing. Our DD2 is 7months and waking regular as clockwork at 10.30, 1.30, 4.30 and 6.30 and wants BF everyime.
The other night I decided it was her or me on the tiredness stakes,so we are on night 4 of removing the 1st of the feeds. Not sure this is the best approach but so far it has taken between 40 mins and 2hrs 20mins (i gave in and fed her!!!!) to get her back to sleep....and I am even more tired!!
I cannot get her to take a bottle/cup either so not sure she is getting enough in the day, although am sure a few of these feeds could get picked up in the day if they were stopped.
Our 1st DD slept through from 8 weeks, so this is all new terrain.
Anyway I am now off to get in position for her waking up!!!
Not sure this is any help....but be assured in those wee small hours of the morning, I am also wrestling with same problem!!

BabiesEverywhere Fri 29-Aug-08 10:47:10

aitch66, Have you tried offering more feeds during the day and evening ?

MrsJamin Fri 29-Aug-08 11:57:50

this is so comforting to hear, my 7 1/2 MO has been going through so many night-wakings in the last few weeks, put it down to teeth but he's over that I think. I looked it up and thought there was a 6 month growth spurt, but not 7 months - I prefer this advice though! I'm just giving boob too! Can I have a t-shirt as well? wink

skidaddle Fri 29-Aug-08 15:31:46

I wonder if there is somethign about the 7 month mark? My DS was like this - waking a lot and only wanting a feed (which I always gave). he is now 8.5 months and this has stopped completely and he is almost sleeping through the night now which is wonderful. So hang on in there and hopefully things will improve soon

sakurarose39 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:04:52

MalikaAndMungo - can you not co-sleep? Getting up so many times must be hell! If he is right there next to you, you can just roll over, stick a boob in his mouth and go back to sleep.
Just remember, this too shall pass!

btw how is life in Damascus? My DH has business contacts in Syria and is dying to visit one day.
Have you seen this thread You could be our correspondent from Damascus! Take care smile

aitch66 Fri 29-Aug-08 17:30:20

Miracles of Miracles. Last nights message was the first I have ever posted on this site..I then went off to bed and DD2 slept until 3!!! Cannot believe it...will be posting messages all the time from now on!

I on the other hand got to sleep about 1 as now have been conditioned!!

I have tried upping the feeds on the day, but I think it is vicious circle as if she has alot at night and I run around all day, by the afternoon I am usually a little low on supply. Ironically after last night I am carrying alot of milk today, so am getting as much in as poss!!!!

Thanks for the advice!

aitch66 Fri 29-Aug-08 17:30:22

Miracles of Miracles. Last nights message was the first I have ever posted on this site..I then went off to bed and DD2 slept until 3!!! Cannot believe it...will be posting messages all the time from now on!

I on the other hand got to sleep about 1 as now have been conditioned!!

I have tried upping the feeds on the day, but I think it is vicious circle as if she has alot at night and I run around all day, by the afternoon I am usually a little low on supply. Ironically after last night I am carrying alot of milk today, so am getting as much in as poss!!!!

Thanks for the advice!

mummyof2boyz Fri 29-Aug-08 18:56:39

m on my second wee boy who is ten weeks old and i feel like i am glued to the sofa every half a hour feeding, i feel so guilty for my seven year old as everytime we go to have some quality time together, its feeding time again, plus just had a row with boyfriend as he has gone out for a night out and i'm sooo jealous watching him get all spruced up, whilst i'm sitting here like a slob, in fact i burst into tears when he left!!

i love being a mum but feel like a human cow at the moment and nothing else!! my bf keeps stating how i am giving my ds the best start in life, which i am well aware of, but feeling really down and exhausted.

also feel selfish for moaning when i have a gorgeous baby to be thankful for!

Add your message here

aitch66 Sat 30-Aug-08 13:17:46

mummyof2boyz, you poor thing. I know exactly what you mean, the first 12 weeks for me when I look back, went by in a blur of highs and lows.
The main reason I cannot get DD2 to have bottle now is that I stayed on the breast through that period, and if I had my time again would have made more effort to get her on the bottle for the odd feed, as you get a rest and someone else can help you.

Hope helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now