Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I increase milk supply?

(10 Posts)
janx Fri 18-Feb-05 10:34:51

Hi - am currently giving one top up of formula in the evening as milk supply seems low in evening. Have tried expressing inbetween feed to increase, but can never get much out. Read with interest the breast pump thread - I have a noisey medela electric thingy - should I change? Does it make a big difference? I know other mums who use the same one and seem to get galloons of milk!! Any advice appreciated - dd is 5 months

NotQuiteCockney Fri 18-Feb-05 10:36:46

I used a medela electric, and found the noise off-putting. The Avent hand pump is harder to get used to, but works better, I think. With DS1, I used to be very happy to pump during the day, then give the bottle in the evening.

You can also rent hospital-style pumps, often from your local NCT branch.

With DS2, we just cluster feed. He needs to feed lots then, so he does.

TracyK Fri 18-Feb-05 10:37:11

I always used the aventa one. I expressed just before going to bed and gave ds a bottle of formula instead and got the expressed stuff during the night. I think they say if you express at the end of feeding them it stimulates more milk.

hercules Fri 18-Feb-05 10:39:11

What makes you think your supply is low? I could never express much in the evenings when dd was 5 months but she fed fine. The best way to increase supply is for baby to feed. It is far more effecient than expressing.
I always found expressing around lunch time (at work) far more fruitful than in the evening.

If you dont need to express I really wouldnt bother. IF your dd is 5 months then she will be an expert feeder by now and will get what she needs.

HTH

hercules Fri 18-Feb-05 10:40:12

oh yes, that is a good tip from Tracy. Express just after or during a feed. Not easy though with an interested baby.

janx Fri 18-Feb-05 12:44:55

Thanks for all the advice- dd seems satisfied in the day, but seems hungrier in evening- hence the top up. I was starting her on baby rice a week ago, but had to stop as she caught a stomach bug and doc advised against solids. Will try the expressing again during feed

Lonelymum Fri 18-Feb-05 13:00:27

I am reliably informed that it is normal for your su7pply to be less in the evening as you are tired by then and your body is in need of rest. Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with giving one bottle of formula in the evening (I did with ds1 and ds2) as it covers your low supply time, allows someone else to give the baby a feed, gives you a break, maybe stokes the baby up to get them through the night, etc.

If you want to try and increase your supply though, have you tried eating well, drinking loads, resting all you can, and expressing from one side while the baby is on the other (in the morning)?

hermykne Fri 18-Feb-05 13:16:25

janx i am breast feeding and expressing so ds can have an ebm bottle in the evening so its taken awhile to get the supply up but after maybe 2wks its got there, i think you have to do it at the same time every day otrherwise your boobs will be all over the shop.
my ds feeds at 6.30, 11 am and then 2pm bottle and evening around 6.30/7pm so i try to express at 1pm and 9.30pm. getting maybe in total 5oz sometimes only 3.
but i have now stopped his night feeds and notice he gets a big feed in the morn at 6.30 and my boobs inturn are more full for subsequent feeds.
i use the medela pump , the noise doesnt bother me!!

janx Fri 18-Feb-05 18:53:27

Thanks - I don't have anything against formula and my dp gets a chance to feed her and spent some time with her. I guess I would prefer her having ebm. I eat very well and alot! I drink lots of water, but found I never really had the letdown reflex when pumping. Will try and pump at regular time - how old is your baby hermykne?

hermykne Sat 19-Feb-05 13:44:29

janx my ds is 6mths plus 2/3 nearly.
my ds is allergic to formula cows, and i m not keen on soya so thats why i have to express.
the bottle at 2pm is ebm. just to get him use to the idea as i need a night out!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now