Talk

Advanced search

what do you do about going out???

(16 Posts)
jammi Mon 25-Aug-08 21:22:14

Message withdrawn

BroccoliSpeels Mon 25-Aug-08 21:26:51

I just feed my baby where ever he needs to be fed. No one has ever said anything to me about it (apart from the odd positive comment and lots of smiles). It's very discrete.

If you're nervous about feeding in public, you could start somewhere less scary (a friend's house?) and work up to feeding wherever you happen to be maybe?

Or use a pashmina or shawl around you?

Or use the mother and baby feeding rooms in Boots and Mothercare?

Or if you don't want to breastfeed while out and about you could express and take a bottle (I think, but dont really know about because I've never done it).

BroccoliSpeels Mon 25-Aug-08 21:28:14

Oh hang on, I've missed the point entirely. As you were.

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 21:29:36

Can you take him with you?
I have a 16wk LO and he goes where I go, unless its just for 30mins.

you could try EBM if it's time on your own that you want. I would just get your DP to try it when you are already out as you trying to give him EBM might not work because he will be able to smell you.

good luck

BroccoliSpeels Mon 25-Aug-08 21:33:20

Sorry. Have now read the question properly.

At 21 weeks it's quite common to have a growth spurt. Also, he's getting bigger so has a bigger appetite. Or maybe he was just thirsty?

I'd try him on a bottle of expressed again. Or maybe a cup?

I think I'd be a bit uncomfortable with leaving him with no means of having milk while you were out. Sometimes I'm quite convinced my ds must be full and he burps and has a big vom so needs feeding again sooner, or he just decides he wants more feeding.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 25-Aug-08 21:38:11

DS never had a regular bottle, but I did always leave EBM with DH if I went out in the evening. He always seemed to take the bottle if he woke up, maybe because he realised that there was no other option.

At 21 weeks you could try open cup or sippy cup, they are supposed to be from about 4 months. If using open cup just put a splash in at a time to save heartache if precious EBM is spilt...

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Aug-08 21:46:49

if he wants you rather than a feed can you leave him with something that smells of you? Maybe even with a squirt of milk on it (I know...mine gets washed regularly!)

sophiebbb Mon 25-Aug-08 21:51:43

I have a 21wk old DD.

Have you ruled everything else out for the crying?

You say he was probably not hungry. Did he have:

a. dirty nappy
b. wind which wasn't coming up (my DD can be inconsolable for ages until she finally burps)
c. Was he tired (they should be awake for 2-3 hours before next nap at this age - if not they can cry for ages)

It may just be a one off

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 21:51:55

Didn't think to say that StealthPolarBear! We went away for the weekend and didn't take DS's Moses Basket - the bed was too high to bed share and the hotel had provided an immacculately clean travel cot. He wouldn't settle and the only way he would was when I put in my t-shirt that i had been wearing that day! Fast asleep straight away!

sophiebbb Mon 25-Aug-08 21:53:04

PS I am a bit cynical about them actually remembering and wanting you specifically at this age.

sophiebbb Mon 25-Aug-08 21:54:51

Just read your post redhead81 - we cross posted. Maybe I am being too cynical!!!

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:28:05

sophiebbb - maybe its just cos ds is very attached at the mo - he's with me 24/7, in the moby wrap at least once a day and our house is pretty open planned, so rarely out of my sight. his moses basket is also the same level as my bed and right up against my side, so he smells me all night too. when we went away, the bed was very high and the travel cot very low, so he couldn't see or smell me from there. t-shirt def worked!

IAteDavinaForDinner Mon 25-Aug-08 22:34:30

At that age DS definitely went mad if I wasn't around for any length of time. We sepcifically worked on getting him to settle for DP (I went back to work when DS was 6.5 months). We basically sent DP to settle him every time he woke after bedtime, and when DS got really hysterical i would step in. Over time he settled more easily for DP (and now they're inseparable!). I think you need to reassure them rather than force them to accept a situation. After all, we know your DP's as capable as you are, but your baby doesn't!

IAteDavinaForDinner Mon 25-Aug-08 22:34:48

specifically blush

sophiebbb Mon 25-Aug-08 22:43:42

RedHead81 - no you are probably right. I am probably underestimating my baby knowing it is me. I am a bit cynical and think she only wants me for my boobs!!!!

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:45:26

Oh did I say ME? lol - sometimes I'm sure its just my boobies too! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now