Talk

Advanced search

Pain between feeds

(6 Posts)
frogmarsh Mon 25-Aug-08 18:59:00

My DD is just 4 weeks old and so far just about exclusively breast fed but it has been a struggle for me. Have had nipple thrush and mastitus and initially a bad latch which i think is now sorted. However despite treatment for the thrush i am still getting very intense pains in between feeds(feeding itself is pain free). Are these normal let down pains and i am just being a bit of a wimp? The pain comes about 10-20 mins after a feed and can last on and off until the next feed. It can make lying on my side in bed at night very painful/impossible and definitely seems worse when DD is screaming.

Should i just get used to this or head back to the doctors?

scorpio1 Mon 25-Aug-08 19:01:35

sounds to me like deepbreast pain, from thrush being in there, iyswim. i had this; asked doc for fluconazole. some gps need persuasion though, as its not licensed for bfing mothers.

sorry trying to bf, typing rubbish

scorpio1 Mon 25-Aug-08 19:03:33

pdf leaflet

jellyforbrains Mon 25-Aug-08 19:21:57

Hi, I have been having similar pains to the ones you describe. My DD is 5 weeks and I had lots of problems with mastitis, poor latching (and then bleeding because of this), but not thrush. In the last 2 weeks thses problems have been much better, and no pain on latching in the last week.

Now though, I have what feels like 'stabbing' pains in the side I have just fed from some time after the feed finishes. This is often accompanied by a shivery feeling - even if I have been feeling hot before that. Sometimes it passes quickly and sometimes lingers - and sometimes it doesn't happen.

I have no idea what it is though - sorry! I remember having it occasionally with my 2 other DCs, even though I'd had less problems with feeding them, and no mastitis.

I feel it happens to me after DD has had a really good feed and completely drained the side she is feeding from. This may not be the case though. Sometimes I think that it is the lingering after effects of the masitis, but that is not based on any medical facts!

Sorry, that's not any help really.

frogmarsh Mon 25-Aug-08 19:37:34

Scorpio- that is the treatment i received for thrush already (took the leaflet to the gp!) so perhaps i ought to go back for more? Feel a bit embarrassed as it will be 4th time

Jelly- it is helpful to hear that other people are in the same boat, makes me feel not quite so alone and useless.

Spidermama Mon 25-Aug-08 19:40:28

I had this too. Kellymom has good advice. The Breastfeeding Network did a great leaflet to take to the doc with suggested doses because many docs won't know about it and give the wrong dose. It's very misunderstood.

You could try archive threads on this too because there are a few.

I wish you the very best of luck in getting it sorted because it really hurts.

I had it for about three awful weeks and I was just topping up with pain killers. I couldn't even let the shower water drop on my breasts.

BUT on the bright side I fed him until he was about two so you can get through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now