Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me how you settle your one year old without breastfeeding...have to stop properly

(26 Posts)
FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 15:54:22

as the other antibiotic was making me pretty sick, so am going to start a different one tomorrow - it's called vancomycin and is contraindicated apparently.

I have no choice, there are only two for this infection and as I've only taken half the course I can't leave it and risk it coming back.

Yesterday I cut feed for 9 hours during the day, and only fed him at night - but it was several times.

he will not take a bottle at all, he is 15 mo.

He has sippy cup or I feed him water from a sports bottle or doidy in the day.

But he never goes to sleep without a feed and I am really stuck. Please help with any ideas you might have.

Habbibu Mon 25-Aug-08 15:57:12

No Cry Sleep Solution, Flight? Dd gave up bf to sleep on her own (unfortunately, at the time...), but found bits of this quite useful. Any way you could get him off the breast before he's asleep, get him into bed and pat him to sleep, then gradually do less and less?

Habbibu Mon 25-Aug-08 15:57:56

Shit, sorry, Flight - didn't read the anti-b thing properly. Hope someone with more of a brain can help!

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 16:02:19

Aw Habbi, thankyou kindly - I'd love, love, love to be able to carry on but I think our time has come, thanks for answering anyway! smile

He's such a little toddles as well, doesn't look like a big boy yet sad

grouchyoscar Mon 25-Aug-08 16:05:39

When I needed to cut the bedtime feed for DS I cuddled, hugged, told stories and rhymes to him til he dropped off. If he woke it was do the same again.

Only lasted about 5 days then he stopped needing the bedtime mummy dummy

If you don't want to stop long term you could always express and chuck it until you're off the ABs

Best of luck

tiktok Mon 25-Aug-08 16:09:32

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~fM9AUH:1 seems to indicate that there is no reason to stop bf.

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 16:14:33

I found this but am unable to get into it - looks really interesting, is anyne (longshot) able to enter the site?

Tiktok - just going to read your link, thankyou <fills with hope>

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 16:19:57

Tiktok - that is for IV vanco, I am going to be taking the oral version. Is there anything on that? They operate differently I think though if anything I was led to believe orally it is safer than parenterally re bf.

Can't remember who said that though

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 18:25:54

Slightly desperate bump as I'm still a bit worried

Any tips gratefully received!

Can you just walk them round the room on your shoulder, or will that mean 3 hours of sleeplessness?

I did try that the other night but he wasn't havingit - almost asleep then started crying and rooting again. he refuses any other drink when that tired so I can't even give him water.

Did I read somewhere about weaning onto a bottle using hot chocolate?

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 18:36:32

Please? sad

tissy Mon 25-Aug-08 18:42:16

IIRC, vancomycin is not well absorbed orally, making it a good antibiotic to use for c diff, as it stays in the gut. Thus, the levels in breastmilk ought to be even lower than in tiktok's link. I would suspect that feeding is safe.

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 18:45:45

Thankyou Tiss - I am just afraid tht the Drs will disagree tomorrow and refuse to prescribe it. I don't know what I can do if that happens - I've already been told several times by them that it is contraindicated, Goodness knows what text books they are reading.

I guess I'll have to lie and say 'Ok I won't feed then'

But I did read somewhere that there is a risk of a severe reaction in an infant, which made me stop and think for a moment.

Do you think I should take the URL along with me for Tiktok's link, and make them look at it? Or will they think I am nuts?

Could do with tips for sleep anyway as I will be weaning him off at some point, so as not to risk any more mastitis.

Thanks and sorry to be a neurotic pain!

tissy Mon 25-Aug-08 18:48:01

was right about the oral absorption being poor, but this site does not specifically mention bf. Extrapolating from tiktok's link, bf with oral vancomycin is safer than iv vancomycin, and therefore, I would say, safe!

Who told you it is contraindicated? If GP is going by the drug info sheet, it is produced by the manufacturers, and the always say that, as they're not allowed to do the studies that prove it's safe.

I took another drug that was "not recomended" in bf for the same reasons; the alternatives were far more toxic!

tissy Mon 25-Aug-08 18:52:45

do print off the link and take it with you.It's a reputable site. You can always tell them your friend who is a bf counsellor suggested they look at it, they're not to know she's a faceless internet person! Have they suggested metronidazole supps? Worth a try, some people find they produce less nausea than tablets.

If the worst comes to the worst, does ds understand "all gone"? When I decided it was time to stop bf, dd was old enough to understand that Mummy's milk was "all gone" and although she cried (and so did I), it was OK, and she fell asleep with a cuddle instead.

tissy Mon 25-Aug-08 18:57:51

this paper recommends Vancomycin in breastfeeding mothers, as an alternative to metronidazole.

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 19:09:23

Tissy that is brilliant - thankyou so much. Yes I will take the link - no printer but can give her the gist and have copied out the URL.
Thankyou for the tip about 'all gone' - I don't think he gets that concept yet but I will try to instill!

I feel much better knowing it doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream.

Tiktok - have you had any patients who have used it? I think it is the one they use for MRSA actually?

FlightAttendent Mon 25-Aug-08 19:18:50

I really like that BNet article Tiss - it's very clear and makes a lot of sense.

smile

Why the heck they didn't just give me vanco to start with - well looking at the price ticket I can understand - also I suppose they are trying to preserve it so as it doesn't engender resistance.

I have felt so, so sick on these awful flagyl things. Much worse than the infection! Plus hot flushes, you name it really...I hope Vanco will be less awful. It's supposed to be.

FlightAttendent Tue 26-Aug-08 18:30:47

Tissy - Tiktok - I've been to the GP and she was great - I offered her the website links but she already took my word for it being safe, despite her book not saying anything really - something about it reaching low concentrations in breastmilk. But she just prescribed it without a fuss.

I found myself apologising for the expense - it is about £500 for a course blush

Ds feeding as we speak smile

THANKYOU both for your wonderful help yesterday. I'd have been stuck without you!

MelissaM Wed 27-Aug-08 12:29:11

glad doc was supportive - was about to give suggestions but glad not needed. good luck with bf'ing and anti-b's

StealthPolarBear Wed 27-Aug-08 12:46:06

so pleased to read this!

tiktok Wed 27-Aug-08 12:49:49

That's good news, Flight....it's always sensible to check meds and breastfeeding for oneself instead of simply going on what the doctor says.

tissy Wed 27-Aug-08 20:55:15

smile good news

asicsgirl Thu 28-Aug-08 13:56:45

on going to sleep without bf... ds1 was bf to sleep until 15mo. he dropped all other feeds first. dp put him to bed for a week, to try and break the association. he read stories and then laid him across his lap and sang to him in the dark till he fell asleep. is this something you could try? good luck smile

FlightAttendent Thu 28-Aug-08 17:26:55

That sounds lovely Asicsgirl smile

Might have to borrow someone else's DP to try it but I would promise to give him back once child was asleep!! grin lol

My mum can get him to sleep fine when I'm not there. The smell of milk and association is just too hard for them isn't it?

asicsgirl Fri 29-Aug-08 13:00:45

dp might be willing to be loaned out for a small consideration... he is known as the baby whisperer round here wink

nb ds1 was happy for me to put him to bed without bf after dp had done it for a few nights, so maybe if your mum could do it for a few nights in succession that would work?

best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now