Talk

Advanced search

Some questions about BF and EBM

(16 Posts)
AnnVan Mon 25-Aug-08 05:55:02

My first child is due in 1 week! I plan to BF
I would like to know for expressing, what pump would you recommend? also what bottles would be best? and most important, how long should I leave it before I (or DP) start giving ebm in a bottle, as I don't want to interfere with the success of bf by introducing a bottle too early.

THis all assumes that I will be successful with bf, but I plan to give it a good old go!

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 06:35:17

Ooh, how exciting!

You canstart nearly straight away but for 1st timer i would recommend getting b/feeding sorted firtst. It isan art that takes time to master but soo worth it for so many reasons.

Lotsof different pumps.
Avent Isis is popular (manual) and Medela electric good too(gives your arms a rest). Some people even hand express. You don't need lots of fancy equipment. I just had 2 bottles and a pump. Boiled them to sterilise and kept EBM in fridge or freezer is jars that I had boiled.

You won't get better than MN for support and help so keep lucking.

An MNer has agreat website called 'How breastfeeding works' and another called 'Kellymom' which is excellent.

AnnVan Mon 25-Aug-08 06:54:24

Thanks Moondog
Will admit I'm a little nervous, as there seem to be lots of ladies who struggle with bf! Thankully I will have my MIL clos by for support, and seeing as she bf 5 kids (the youngest will be 3 in September!) I reckon she knows what she's doing.

Hmm, if I don't get a steriliser, how long should bottles be boiled for to be sure they're sterile?

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 06:58:03

Oh wider family support issuch a help, f not the biggest help. They tend to keep you going and look after yuo when other less helpful folks say demoralising things like 'Oh, give him a bottle!'

Boiling? 5 mins I did.

BouncingTurtle Mon 25-Aug-08 07:13:45

I had a Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature manual breast pump, I found that okay - it comes with it's own steriliser box which you can use to sterilise in the microwave, plus bottle and teat and wasn't very expensive - I bought it in Asda for £12.
Good luck with the baby - sending you happy labour vibes smile

AnnVan Mon 25-Aug-08 07:42:39

Oh , and which bottles are best to use? I've heard Tommee Tippee recommended. Are these the Closer to Nature bottles, or the Easy VEnt bottles?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm worrying a little too much about things.

MrsJamin Mon 25-Aug-08 07:56:34

I used the Tommee Tippee manual express pump too- quite a bargain and as I express only at night, it's quite quiet so can do it in bed without waking up DH!

DS didn't like the closer to nature bottles, used some Dr Browns which are fab for mainly-breast-fed infants. They have a clever anti-colic system which reduces the need for to wind the baby for ages.

It seems to be that the 'window' for introducing a bottle to mainly-breast-fed babies is between 3-6 weeks - so that BF is established but that they will accept something different to suck on. Also you need to keep up using the bottles at least a few times a week otherwise the baby might forget how to suck on a bottle - this is really important and if you forget for a few weeks they might not accept a bottle at all. DS didn't have a bottle between 5 and 6 months old, and it took days of persevering to get him to suck rather than chew the bottle teat! It's well worth doing though as it allows you to go out for the evening!

AnnVan Mon 25-Aug-08 08:49:30

Mrs Jasmin - Thanks. I was thinking to leave it for at least 3 weeks, but it didn't occur to me that there should be an upper limit as well IYSWIM. Definitely plan to get this done, as I want to be able to go out for evenings, or go get some exercise while its (don't know the sex yet) gran looks after baby. Wouldn't do that if I though baby would have to go hungry! Will order some bottles etc and pump now so that I dont have to worry about it when I actually start needing them.

AnnVan Mon 25-Aug-08 13:16:57

Oh sorry ladies, one more question blush When expressing, do you have to keep the milk in the bottle that attaches to the pump, or can you transfer it to a diferent bottle/storage bag? Or would this contaminate the milk somehow??

ilovemydog Mon 25-Aug-08 13:28:43

I use a Medela swing - it's brilliant!

Then I freeze in Lansinoh bags, which can be bought at Boots.

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature teats (slow flow) are good. NUK is good too.

Good luck smile

MrsJamin Mon 25-Aug-08 13:52:24

You can transfer it to anything, as long as you've sterilised it. I transfer it from the breast pump bottle bottom to the Dr Browns bottles. Here's the storage info from Kellymom - very useful.

aniseed Mon 25-Aug-08 13:57:18

I breastfed for about a month and then began expressing using tommee tippee closer to nature which was fine. I tried lots of different bottles and ds would except none - found this all very difficult as had to go back to work and was worried that he would never take a bottle. Then tried closer to nature bottle with my milk which he would have. I also used lansinoh bags which can be labelled and frozen.

MrsJamin Mon 25-Aug-08 15:06:59

I reckon your best bet, AnnVan, would be to try the closer to nature bottle included with the tommee tippee breast pump and if your DC doesn't take it, then buy a different one.

BouncingTurtle Mon 25-Aug-08 15:36:55

AnnVann - Tesco have the Tommee Tippee breast pump on special offer - £12.49, instead of £24.99.

MrsJamin Tue 26-Aug-08 13:27:10

I think it's a long term offer as I bought mine in Tesco last December for that amount. I have also seen them for a similar amount in TK Maxx.

AnnVan Tue 26-Aug-08 13:59:08

Thanks very much ladies! Appreciate the advice very much. Will try the TOmmee tippee bottles I think, still wavering a little on which pump to buy - mainly due to laziness, so considering an electric one blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now