Talk

Advanced search

Help please! 18wk ds is teething methinks and it's affecting bfing...

(12 Posts)
munchkinmum Sun 24-Aug-08 21:26:11

My munchkin is showing all the signs bless him. He has been great at night but has v recently waking early or in night for a feed (he has been sleeping 9-10 hours a night previouly grin. He's got red cheeks, chewing everything, etc...

I'm getting sore as he is v fussy and keeps pulling away at breast (with nipple still in mouth - ouch!) and we are latching on and off, on and off x 20 througout the feed. This is especially so on his less preferred boob.

Have started to use calgel on his gums before a feed to see it that helps but wondered if this is normal and if anyone has any pearls of wisdom that will help? Can it be something else (I'm sure its not thrush - been there done that!!!!)

All help greatly appreciated....

pudding25 Sun 24-Aug-08 21:29:00

I thought DD was teething a couple of wks ago (now not sure she actually was) but I was told that the signs you are saying are normal. Maybe give him some calpol too?

BouncingTurtle Sun 24-Aug-08 21:48:54

Have you tried anbesol? I find that more effective than calgel and bonjela as the liquid stays on the gums better.
Ashton & Parsons powders are good too!

munchkinmum Sun 24-Aug-08 21:51:50

Thanks pudding and BT.

munchkinmum Mon 25-Aug-08 20:16:44

Hi

DS still fusy today and I feel quite sore as he is pushing away from me when he latches on and pulling my nipple.

Stressing me out a bit - confidence waning now. I was a tough job getting bf'ing established... I don't want it to end now sad.

alkar Mon 25-Aug-08 20:20:51

Had a similar problem with DS around the same time. Have you tried feeding in a quiet room then there is nothing to distract him. I have used nelsons teething granules which seem to take effect quite quickly - and wear off quick but they might help with his feeding. Also if he is bad then give him calpol. My DS is 6.5 months old now and I'm still bf, hope that helps smile

WhereTheWildEelsWere Mon 25-Aug-08 20:26:48

Both my dc's got first teeth at 16 weeks.

This was only a few weeks ago with ds, had a terrible time with the bfing, very much as you describe, fusy, nipple pulling etc.

After a few days we had a day where she had a nursing strike for 9 hours and cried almost the whole of that time (except where she was so exhausted she would pass out for 10 minutes or so then wake and scream).

She finally went to sleep properly about 9ish slept most of the night (and fed a few times, like a demon).

We woke to two tiny pearly little teeth!

I can't really offer any advice, but try to persevere, I know it's hard but try not to stress about it.

The La Leche bf helpline is brilliant at this kind of thing btw and will give you loads of support.

Good luck! (only another 19 toothy-pegs to go grin )

WhereTheWildEelsWere Mon 25-Aug-08 20:28:49

Doh, meant to post link!

La Leche bf support line

munchkinmum Mon 25-Aug-08 23:25:09

WTWEW - thats so reassuring thanks. Going to a surestart group tommorow which has a resident LLL person there - will ask about this there.

Thanks so much for posting your experiences.

mistyamica Mon 25-Aug-08 23:38:07

Hi mkm, I'm having a tough time also. Although my Ds is 20 weeks.

He has gone off his boob, bottle and food! He cries constantly and it's such a shame it breaks my heart to see him in pain!

Like you, I came on here a couple of days ago for some help. So I think it is only fair to pass some of the advice on to you!

Put a wet flannel in the freezer and then let your baby bite down on to it. This actually works with my DS but you have to keep moving the flannel about as it warms up! I actually use one of his bibs! Make sure you have some bongela or calgel to hand afterwards!

I have bought my DS some rubber spoons. I got them from Asda. I can only get my DS to eat rusk mixed with milk at the moment so I have to spoon feed him everything..even water!
These spoons are flexible so when in the baby's mouth they won't hurt the gums. Handy!

Hope this helps! Let me know when she gets her first tooth! My Ds has no teeth yet it's driving me nuts! lol!

munchkinmum Tue 26-Aug-08 00:04:32

Taa Misty. You hang in there too!

mistyamica Tue 26-Aug-08 00:47:57

ooops! sorry mkm! I accidentally wrote her instead of he! It's late i've had a long day and my DS has warped my brain with all his screaming! lol! blush

Let me know when your son has his first tooth!

I need to go to bed!!...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now