Talk

Advanced search

tiktok or mears or those in the know?

(7 Posts)
NotAnOtter Sun 24-Aug-08 12:39:42

feeding 5 week old and noticed pain in boob last night
this morning in agony and feels a bit lumpy but no shiny patch

have fed and pumped and fed on a different angle etc - combed boob - massaged but it still 'kills'

am panicking as it does not seem to even relieve the pain when boob totally empty

feel nauseous (and have done all night ) but not feverish....

is it better to get a/b's?

thankyou !

tiktok Sun 24-Aug-08 16:56:07

NotAnOtter, sounds like the beginning of mastitis, sorry. Am in a dash so can't get all the info down in this reply, but you could call one of the bf helplines and talk it through. A/bs are only one possible response to this - there are others.

(also - check for 'white spot' on nipple - clogged up milk that's causing a blockage further back. You can sometimes relieve the blockage by popping the spot - check archives for white spot).

NotAnOtter Sun 24-Aug-08 19:42:36

thankyou so much tiktok

i saw gp at local hosp..told him i HAD thought it was start of thrush as nipple painful but he said no - i would have itching and cracked nipple...

anyway a little red shiny area has appeared and he thus gave me anti biotics

had to take tops and bra right off though which was a stress!

NotAnOtter Mon 25-Aug-08 19:08:07

hellooooo any one?

milk supply now seems much less on affected side? could that be so?

cadelaide Mon 25-Aug-08 19:11:08

Hello NotAnOtter. I've had mastitis a few times, and thrush once. I don't recall noticing any effect on supply, tbh.

cadelaide Mon 25-Aug-08 19:12:21

Oh, and I did not have any itching or cracked nipple with the thrush, just intense pain with the let-down, radiating towards my arm-pit.

NotAnOtter Mon 25-Aug-08 19:23:07

thanks cadelaide! I am wondering if i am feeding off it more so it never gets chance to fill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now