Talk

Advanced search

defrosting EBM, is boiling water ok?

(7 Posts)
FinalFurlong Sun 24-Aug-08 12:01:04

Just a quick one, on the odd occasion DD(6m) has a bottle and we dont have hours to defrost properly, we put the plastic avent container in a jug of boiling water, i didnt think twice about it till i read that overheating breastmilk destroys some of its properties.. is it ok to do this still?
Also is it ok to heat a bottle in a jug of boiling water?
sorry if these questions seem stupid!

tiktok Sun 24-Aug-08 12:07:17

Yes - overheating may affect the ebm, but it doesn't make it undrinkable or harmful For a healthy baby of this age, having no more than the occasional bottle of ebm....well, use your common sense when you judge whether it is worth fretting over

It might be a different story for, say, a tiny prem being fed solely on ebm.

The other issue relates to the constituents of the bottle itself - you might want to check it is Bisphenol A free. My understanding is that heat encourages the release of potentially harmful chemicals, but I may have got this wrong (you can check on this).

HeadFairy Sun 24-Aug-08 12:14:18

I used to do the same, I think the problems occur if you heat ebm to really high temps, ie boiling or near boiling. I came to this conclusion because I had to scald my ebm (bring it almost to the boil) as it tasted wierd when it was frozen and I read on Kellymom.com that it can effect the composition of the milk slightly, but it's still better than formula so I didn't worry too much about it.

Are you freezing your bm in those freezer bag things? I think they should be Bisphenol A free, but check the brand. It should say.

Also, bm defrosts really quickly so I found it enough to leave it standing in the hot water long enough to leave just a tiny lump of frozen ebm left, then you can generally just squish it about a bit to break up that last frozen lump. That way you don't have to heat it too much.

FinalFurlong Sun 24-Aug-08 12:18:17

cheers!
i tend to read things then start fretting! i am your typical over worrier.
just wondered if other people did this with their frozen milk and to warm bottles.
I already checked out the bisphenol A thing, looks like the avent bottles and cups are ok.

FinalFurlong Sun 24-Aug-08 12:20:20

great tip about the squishing!
its always that last lump that takes the longest to defrost.

HeadFairy Sun 24-Aug-08 12:27:43

yeah, I never waited until it was 100% defrosted, just about 80-90%. Mind you, now ds is older I don't even warm milk that's been in the fridge, he gulps it all down hot cold and anything in between!

Seona1973 Sun 24-Aug-08 15:01:33

avent bottles do contain BPA - the avent magic cups dont. Kellymom says this about defrosting breastmilk quickly:

For quicker thawing, hold container under running water - start cool and gradually increase temperature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now