Talk

Advanced search

So I think we may have thrush... <sigh>

(24 Posts)
charchargabor Sat 23-Aug-08 22:53:19

DD is nearly 13 months, and I thought we'd escaped this. I'm on antibiotics for tonsilitis. I've been taking probiotics every day to try and avoid thrush, but it doesn't seem to have helped. sad I've got thrush, and DD appears to have a yeast nappy rash. Her whole nappy area is an angry red colour with some spots, and she itches it when I take her nappy off. Does this sound like a yeast nappy rash?

I'm not sure about breast thrush. DD doesn't seem to have any white marks in her mouth, but I'll doublecheck tomorrow. The only symptom I have is a funny feeling in my breasts. It only happens occasionally, mainly when DD pushes against them when feeding. It's only slightly painful, but it makes me feel funny. Does this sound like the beginnings of breast thrush? I know it's a very vague description, sorry!

I'm just so fucking upset, I'm almost crying here sad I just hoped we'd never get it, and now I'm probably going to have to argue with the doctor to get fluconazole and God knows what else. And I'm scared it might get really painful and feeding DD will stop being the great experience it is now. And it's the fucking Bank Holiday. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH! Didn't realise this would turn into a rant. Please help!

thisisyesterday Sat 23-Aug-08 22:57:06

awww you may not get breast thrush, I think it's quite a different matter, getting it down below.

get some canesten for you and dd to use, and then see how the boobs go over the next few days.
ime thrush pain increases quite rapidly, so you'll soon know if you have it or not.

I know that generally fluconazole is the best thing for it, was the only thing that worked with ds1 when feeding, BUT, I treated thrush successfully with ds2 twice without it.
you can buy daktarin oral gel over the counter, which you can use on dd's mouth and on your nipples.

charchargabor Sat 23-Aug-08 23:02:25

Thankyou, thisisyesterday. So there's a chance we might not get breast thrush then? Maybe I'm just hypersensitive about this feeling and I've really had it for ages. I'm just feeling awful anyway and this doesn't help. And I can't afford to buy anything over the counter so I'll have to wait until bloody Tuesday to get anything, and poor DD's bum looks horrible. It's really dry and a bit flaky as well, is that part of a yeast rash. I'm just clueless, I read about it ages ago but never thought we'd get it so I've forgotten everything! Thankyou for your post, I feel a bit better now. smile

bythepowerofgreyskull Sat 23-Aug-08 23:05:25

we had thrush lots with both boys..
in the end I bought canesten once over the counter at the pharmacy or DH bought it for me.

our GP was supportive but a different gp in the surgery wasn't.

Good luck smile

charchargabor Sat 23-Aug-08 23:11:19

Thanks greyskull. Hopefully it won't get as far as my breasts. Just the worst day for it to happen, right at the beginning of the bank holiday. Can walk ins prescribe Canesten for DD and I? Just in case we can't wait til Tues.

Tryharder Sat 23-Aug-08 23:13:31

Thrush is a b*stard - both my DSs got it in their mouths and I had it on my breasts. Daktarin/Nystol works also applying a water/vinegar mixture to nipples with cotton wool. But it can be difficult to shift and quite often there arent any symptoms other than pain. I often felt shooting pains deep in my breasts and really, really tender nipples (putting a towel over my bare breasts used to make me cry out with pain). The symptoms you describe dont seem so bad but it's worth taking some action just in case. Sorry you're feeling so bad but it will probably be OK. I found I could still bf with thrush - it just makes it a bit uncomfortable and at its worst, DS1 refused to feed one evening but that was all.

xx

charchargabor Sat 23-Aug-08 23:27:48

Thanks Tryharder. Hopefully it's either not thrush or the very early stages of it, as it's not like what you've described at all. It does sound like a bitch though, so I really hope it isn't! I wouldn't worry about DD not feeding, today she headbutted a wooden bench and split her lip in 2 places, and fed 2 seconds later whilst it was still bleeding shock She fed through tonsilitis as well, she's do addicted to bfing to allow pain to stop her! smile Thanks for sharing your experiences.

sleepycat Mon 25-Aug-08 14:16:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ninja Mon 25-Aug-08 14:20:07

If you thrush on your nipples they go kind of shiny.

I had it for MONTHS with dd, the medication never worked, but changing my diet did. I basically went on a sort of detox diet for 2 weeks and it went. I can post the diet if you want.

Maybe even cutting out the obvious (Bread, mushrooms, alcohol and sweets) will help

sleepycat Mon 25-Aug-08 14:24:12

ninja Mon 25-Aug-08 14:59:52

OK - Here goes. It IS a bit drastic but as I said it works. It was posted to me by another Mumsnet sufferer!

You could just cut down to start with if it's not too bad.

The things NOT to eat

Sugar and foods containing sugar - white sugar, brown sugar, sucorse, fructose, glucose, dextrose, corn syrup, maltose, caramel, golden syrup, treacle, molasses, maple sytrup, honey, sweets, chocolate, marzipan, icing, desserts and puddings, ice cream, cakes and biscuits, soft drinks including squash and all canned drinks, bottle ketchup, chutneys, ice creams and any hidden sugars in processed foods. (if it tastes sweet don't eat it)

Yeast and all foods containing yeast or derived from it. This includes bread and even most pitta breads, foods coated in breadcrumbs, most pizza bases, Marmite, Vecon, Bovril, Oxo, monosodium glutonate, citirc acid and vitamin tablets unless "yeast free stated. (Use Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon for stock as this is yeast free).

Refined grains - white flour, granary flour, and brown flour (which are white flour with bran and grains added), white rice, white pasta, cornflour, custard powder, cornflakes and cereals unless "whole grain" is stated (Use potato flour as a thickener)

Mala and malted products. Some cereals i.e. Weetabix, brown Ryvita, granary bread, malted drinks like Ovaltine, Horlicks and Caro.

Fermented products - alcoholic drinks, ginger beer, vinegar and all foods cotnaining vinegar (ketchups, pickles, salad creams, baked beans), soya sauce.

Cows milk and most milk product including cream and cheese (Cottage chees and live natural yoghurt are allowed)

Concentrated fruit juices and any cooked fruit eg stewed with sugar, jam marmalade. Peel all fruit.

Dried fruits - prunes, figs raisins, sultanans, dried bananas apricots etc.

Nuts - unless freshly cracked. Avoid peanuts and peanut butter which support the growth of mould.

Smoked or cured fish and meat including ham, bacon, smoked mackerel and smoked salmon.

Preservatives - these are frequently derived from yeasts or introduce a chemical substance to the body.

Mushrooms

Tea and coffee. Drink herbal teas or Barlecup

Hot spices - the irritate the lining of the intestine

Things you can eat. The sheet actually says "enjoy" before each line but I'll leave that out because half this stuff I'm not sure how the word "enjoy" can be associated with it!

Yeast-free bread made with wholewheat flour or other grains, i.e. soda bread or sourdough rye. Village Bakery (at waitrose) or a very good rye loaf

Rice cakes, oak cakes (malt free), original Ryvita ( not brown, it is malted), Ryvita with sesame seeds, wholemeal crsipbreads (read labels carefully).

Pastry made with wholemeal flour or other grains

Soya milk (sugar free), Rice milk (Rice Dream) or coconut milk (diluted one quarter with water). You will quickly adapt to it on cereal and when cooked with oats or rice it becomes really creamy

Unhydrogenated margarines - Vitasieg or Vitaquell

Plain natural yoghurt - any 'live' variety

Cottage Cheese

Free range eggs

Salad - at least one large plate a day - make dressing out of olive oil and lemon juice, garlic and mixed herbs

Vegetables - eaten raw, steamed or stir fried

Avocados

Potatoes - cooked in many different ways. Lightly salted plain crisps are ok

Fruit - only after a couple fo weeks. Moderate amounts i.e. 3 pieces a day all must be peeled including apples, pears and other hard fruits

Other wholegrains for variety - brown rice, wild rice, millet, oats, buckwheat, barley, rye, Wholemeal pasta, rice pasta spelt pasta, corn pasta.

Fish, seafood, chicken and game. Red meat should be kept to a minimum and preferably organic

Herbs and mild spices i.e. cumin, coriander and tumeric

Drinks - herb teas, camomile tea, mint, ginger, cinnamon, ginseng, Rooibosch tea, hot water with a slice of lemon, Barleycup, V8 vegetable juice, still bottled mineral water, filtered tap water

sleepycat Mon 25-Aug-08 19:14:10

scorpio1 Mon 25-Aug-08 19:15:25

leaflet about thrush

sleepycat Mon 25-Aug-08 19:48:21

scorpio1 Mon 25-Aug-08 19:49:48

i have had thrush; still bfing at 19 weeks, it isnt the end at all, dont worry.

i got fluconazole and watched the hygiene, it went.

ninja Mon 25-Aug-08 21:27:31

Within 2 weeks the thrush had gone (and I had had it for 4 months of agony, I still have the scars on my nipples to show for it - dd had teeth!)

I gradually reintroduced foods after a coouple more. Once I got the hang of it it wasn't too bad. Jacket potatoes with cottage cheese and beans, stir fry, wholemeal pasta with tomato and veg sauce etc (I'm veggie so even more restrictive).

As I say you may not need the whole diet, but it's worth being aware of what can 'feed' it.

And yes I did lose weight - the rest of my baby weight in fact so there is an up side.

It's worth trying the flucanazole but try and get the leaflet to show the doctors the right amount. You need the loading dose AND the daily amount. My problem was that initially they wouldn't give me both (or didn't believe I needed them and so it didn't take it away completely and it just kept coming back.

Good Luck, it sounds like you may have caught it earlier than me and I'm sure you'll get rid of it.

Oh and once dd was treated her thrush went VERY quickly so that's good to know.

sleepycat Tue 26-Aug-08 23:20:45

ninja Wed 27-Aug-08 10:43:06

Yes you need to have yourself treated, I think it's really a case of being assertive. Have you got a local feeding advisor who could back you up?

You could phone up and say I've realsied they forgot to give me treatment - but I think you'll need to take the leaflet in to persuade them to give you the full treatment of flucanazole.

Have you tried adjusting your diet yet?

WilfSell Wed 27-Aug-08 10:44:37

Do this: really...

Grapefruit seed extract. Dilute. Paint on nipples after every feed and swab baby's mouth before every feed.

Cleared it up in two days. No other treatment.

If you don't mind 'alternative' treatments that is.

TheBlonde Thu 28-Aug-08 10:44:06

I took Grapefruit seed extract tablets
Didn't bother with the nipple rinse
Worked well

ninja Thu 28-Aug-08 21:52:38

Hi sleepycat - did you ever get the flucanazole?

tassisssss Thu 28-Aug-08 21:55:17

tell me more about the grapefruit seed extract please

sleepycat Sun 31-Aug-08 21:26:44

sleepycat Thu 04-Sep-08 22:29:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now