Talk

Advanced search

Help!!!! I'm hoping o bf expected dc and the tops someone's recommended to wear so i won't look like i'm stripping off...

(22 Posts)
yousaidit Sat 23-Aug-08 20:43:34

... are no longer in the shop!!!! I've got big norks and a friend used to get the jersey tops from mamas and paps that crossed over at the front and looked like a wrap top but didn't need to be 'wrapped' (iykwim) so you could just pull a boob out discreetly and feed... These sound ace and i've just looked on the website and they don't do them anymore: Can anyone recommend and similar tops or tops they found useful and discreet for bf'ing? Ta!

howtobehated Sat 23-Aug-08 20:45:34

depends on the season but if its winter you can buy bf vest tops (that strap unclips) and then wear another top over the top, then when you lift your top the vest top covers you up.

Denny185 Sat 23-Aug-08 20:46:27

I just tend to wear loose tops so you can pull them up and shove LO underneath, never had any special BF tops.

You can get these sheet things that you hang round your neck to cover everything - on ebay

EffiePerine Sat 23-Aug-08 20:46:53

H&M do similar

or just wear a vest top under a loose top

yousaidit Sat 23-Aug-08 20:47:25

Hmmm, useful in an emergency, at (But I am a flustery hot and bothery sort of person and layering might make me a sweaty betty!)

verybigbird Sat 23-Aug-08 20:48:25

bravado camisoles are great. you could wear them with a cardie over the top. The cups clip down and your tummy remains covered. I know the NCT website has them for about £30 although occasionally you can find them cheaper. They are pricier than other camis (e.g. Emma Jane ones) but the material is a lot thicker, the bra bit is really nicely lined, and they just feel more robust. Better I would think for colder months.

Clary Sat 23-Aug-08 20:51:02

I just wore a normal top and stuffed baby underneath.

I have big boobs too (32FF now but bigger when bf) and never bothered with a top where I poked a boob through a slit <ugh emoticon>.

I fed all over too, on benches, in cafes, on th etrain more than once.

Just don't do what I do with DS1 and come home from hospital in a long flowing pg type ... dress! grin

Thomcat Sat 23-Aug-08 20:54:23

I wore a normal but slightly loose tunic top and then underneath either wore a vest top that I could pull down so the top of the vest was under my boob, or I wore a boob tube so that when I pulled tunic top up to feed I didn't sit with my stomach out for the world to be appalled at!

EffiePerine Sat 23-Aug-08 20:55:35

I wouldn't go for those poncho affairs, may as well hang a nig sign round your neck saying look at me I'm breastfeeding grin

layering will work - vest top plus top or top plus cardi. And after a while you won't worry so much about it (no-one takes much notice anyway)

munchkinmum Sat 23-Aug-08 21:44:37

I tend to wear a loose top and a cardie over it to close in around dd's head to conceal side view of norks. Works for me!

pudding25 Sat 23-Aug-08 22:30:46

jojo maman bebe do tops like the one you were talking about. My friend got a couple. They are really nice. I think they are about £25 and they have a website if you dont have one near you. She has got big boobaloobs too! So do I but I just whip them out (but that's only at people's houses - would scare the general public off if they saw the size of them!)

ilovemydog Sat 23-Aug-08 22:34:18

agree with very big - bravado tanks are the best. I have tons and if I'm going out, put a sweater over or if it's hot hmm wear on its own. It's a nursing tank as there are clips on the straps and your tummy is still covered....

Aitch Sat 23-Aug-08 22:36:35

where does one purchase a boob tube these days, teecee? sounds like a great plan.

freshayrshire Sat 23-Aug-08 22:40:06

The H&M tops are cheap as chips and worked well - nice and long to cover tummy. Also that belly band thing - like a boob tube but you can use over your middle under a normal top to avoid flashing the muffin top.

chipmonkey Sun 24-Aug-08 00:45:45

You can buy loads of bf tops online.
Try Clevermummy, Mamanana and [[http://www.mamacocoon.com/ Mamacocoon for starters. Also H&M and Next sometimes do nice nursing tops. But the two-tops-trick does work quite well if you don't want to bare your midriff. ( And if Thomcat's afraid to bare hers, then I should be very afraid!)

laluvsmatthew Sun 24-Aug-08 07:37:47

i've always wore 2 tops it works a treat and you could always buy some cheap vest tops and make your own slits in them. just put the top on and mark where your nipples are, then take it off and cut a slit of around an inch on either side and voila home made nipple holes grin

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 08:24:27

Def try H&M and JoJo website....but otherwise go with the vest or boobtube suggestion....if layering is too much then you could also try the bump bands www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/product.aspx?CategoryID=m-hosiery&ProductID=12595&language=en-GB which will cover up your midriff when b/fing. Am sure you can find them cheaper tho smile

isaidno Sun 24-Aug-08 08:24:36

I find the best tops to wear to bf are either wrapover tops or a shirt where I can undo a few buttons. I don't have special tops. The boob tube is a good idea to cover tummies and I am sure there will be lots on sale now it is end of summer.

Miaou Sun 24-Aug-08 08:25:00

here - I had these and they were great!

alkar Sun 24-Aug-08 08:27:37

Another vote here for H&M bf tops. I have a few and I also have their bf vests and wear a jumper over the top. Agree you won;t care after a while but sometimes you want to be a little more discreet.

yousaidit Tue 26-Aug-08 19:36:20

You ar all lovely people thank you very much for all your time and suggestions! They've all been a big help! Not sure about making my wn nipple holes in clothes.. that is asking for trouble, I'll go out in a top looking like I've been ravaged by a lion!!!!!!!!! grin

MelissaM Wed 27-Aug-08 12:22:02

I mainly had tops you can pull up or down. Sometimes had muslin or pashmina over shoulder but usally dd pulled them off - didn't like being covered up as couldn't see what was going on! I did by some bf'ing tops from mamaway too which were great and v discrete. DD is now 13 mo and still bf. You do get more comfortable with bf'ing in public. I was terrified of having negative comments, but happily only had positive ones smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now