Talk

Advanced search

Tandem feeding yes or no?

(5 Posts)
MegBusset Sat 23-Aug-08 15:53:55

I am a few weeks pg and still feeding DS (18mo) in the morning and at bedtime.

Am starting to consider whether to wean him gently before the new baby arrives or stick with feeding him. My main concerns about tandem feeding are:

What if I have to be in hospital overnight for the birth? (Am contemplating a home birth but not sure if it'll happen.) Or even for several days if something goes wrong?

What if I'm feeding DC2 when DS wakes up and expects his morning feed?

How does it work with the colostrum, will I have to stop feeding DS for a few days so the baby gets it all?

And generally what are the pros and cons?

I may have more questions later...

BabiesEverywhere Sat 23-Aug-08 16:16:58

What if I have to be in hospital overnight for the birth? (Am contemplating a home birth but not sure if it'll happen.) Or even for several days if something goes wrong?
<<I had this issue i.e. failed home birth, meant I was in hospital for several days. My 2 year old DD was fine. Bit cross with me for being away but nursed on her second visit to the hospital and Tandem nursed when I returned home with my DS. Your child will be 2 ish and should be fine with regular visits to the hospital>>

<<I insist on DD nursing in the morning, helps with the full breasts. If they both want feeding at the same time, feed them both !!! I have a good cushion and feed DD and DS underarm rugby hold. Works for us>>

How does it work with the colostrum, will I have to stop feeding DS for a few days so the baby gets it all?
<<I was told by midwife that I should feed newborn first but tbh my milk came in fast this time (due to all the nursing I reckon) so it wasn't as issue as newborn DS was nursing around the clock and DD on visiting hours only>>

<<Still figuring these out as DS is only 2 weeks old today !!! It is tiring and time consuming but so is life with a newborn. I think it helps foster a bond between siblings and stops toddler feeling left out at nursing times.

I am feeling very hungry and thirsty atm, which may or may not be connected to all the nursing. So I am drinking loads of water/cups of tea and trying hard not to stuff my face with food.>>

Overall Tandem Nursing has been a lot easier than I thought it would be and it is so sweet watching DD stroke DS's head whilst they nurse

BabiesEverywhere Sat 23-Aug-08 16:24:58

Here is a thread you might find helpful Pregnant and Nursing Support Thread

MegBusset Sat 23-Aug-08 18:55:55

Thanks BE Have popped over to that thread.

theyoungvisiter Sat 23-Aug-08 19:05:19

Hello MB, I am pregnant (25 weeks) and still feeding DS. I haven't got far enough to answer your questions but my assumptions for my own situation are...

What if I have to be in hospital overnight for the birth?
Well, I'll just feed before and after I guess. He'll survive without (he's gone for 48 hours before.

Then I'll feed them both - luckily I've got two sides!

I'm not sure of this one - I don't think you have to, but DS is only feeding twice a day at the moment anyway so I doubt he'd pinch that much colostrum in two feeds.

Some people say it's easier with sibling rivalry later - my only experience so far is that I was so knackered with being pg that I couldn't face weaning DS at the same time, and it's actually been really useful having the usual fail-safe way to get him off to sleep/have some quiet time on the sofa.

There is a really good book called Adventures in Tandem Feeding published by La Leche League which answered a lot of my questions, if you can beg borrow or steal a copy I would recommend it!

Have to go and sort out DS's bedtime now but I'll check back in if I have any bright ideas...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now