Talk

Advanced search

Feeling guilty and really confused regarding ff.

(14 Posts)
kegs82 Fri 22-Aug-08 22:26:26

I'm 28wks with DC3 and have started looking at feeding options. I managed just over 2 weeks bf DD1 before my milk dried up and with DD2 milk never came in. I gave DD1 C&G as that was what my family had always used and gave DD2 Aptimil as was informed by HV and other ffing mothers that it was best on market.

I've been looking through past threads on formula and have read about the ingredients that formula has and now feel guilty for using these for my DD's and confused as to what I should give DC3. I'm hoping that my milk will come in and wont dry up early but want to be prepared incase formula is needed. I've already made decision to use Dr Brown's bottles as DD2 had really bad colic.

From what I've read Hipp Organic infant seems to be a better choice as it has not been messed about with and seems to be better regulated due to organic tag. Is this a good choice or are they really all much the same?

Sorry post so long especially since not posted in months. Really confused and will appreciate any advice/comments.

TIA smile

luvaduck Fri 22-Aug-08 22:31:29

I haven't got a clue about ff but if I were you I'd use MAM bottles as they don't leach bisphenol a unlike dr browns

post on here early on to get help with bf

good luck!

ronshar Fri 22-Aug-08 22:32:58

I used the HIPP organic as I didnt want to use the big corporations like C&G etc. But also when used it originally it was for DD1 who had quite bad skin/excema. It was great.
I also used it when moving on from breast with DD2.

I really wouldnt make yourself guilty about the choices you have made previously. They were made, by the sounds of it, for all the right reasons before. Try not to stress too much about your milk coming in. If it doesnt then use formula. As long as you do what is best for you & your new baby then what more can you do.
Good luck. I am currently at 33+5 so I am with you on the worringsmile

kegs82 Fri 22-Aug-08 22:47:04

Thanks ronshar. I'm trying to relax about things as mf has said that excess stress may affect milk. It's good to hear that Hipp worked for you. GP has signed me off work as stress in work and commute was getting too much. Seem to have loads of time now to worry more about things like feeding.

Luvaduck I thought Dr Brown's bottles were safe. Used MAM with DD2 after bad experience with Avent with DD1 but found did not help her colic at all. Can you recommend any other bottles other than MAM?

luvaduck Fri 22-Aug-08 22:52:33

born free bottles or glass ones - will just google now...

luvaduck Fri 22-Aug-08 22:55:04

try this

kegs82 Fri 22-Aug-08 22:58:43

Thanks. It's a minefield between bottles leaking chemicals into formula and formula containing chemicals already. Everything seemed so easy when had to switch to ff with DD1.

ronshar Fri 22-Aug-08 22:59:43

Excellent someone who knows what they are talking about.
I love Mumsnet. I really dont know what I would do without it now.

Midwife is def right about stress and milk production. Take it easy. This is your third baby so you are obviously doing lots of things right.

pointydog Fri 22-Aug-08 23:11:58

Stop feeling guilty. Please please stop feeling guulty. It's ok.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 22-Aug-08 23:30:33

kegs sad

we all do what we thing is right for our babies, so please don't feel guilty about your feeding choices. You sound as though you gave it a really good go with your two previous DCs and that you moved onto formula when it didn't work for you. there really isn't any shame in that smile.

hipp, being organic has the least interference of all the formulae I would say, but in real terms there isn't that much in it. hipp seem to be a bit less unscrupulous when it comes to marketing though.

Re the bottles, the BpA thing isn't really proven and as far as I'm aware, it's using boiling water that is the problem. If the boiled water is cooled for half an hour before making up the bottle, then there is less leaching of the chemical. I use MAM bottles though, but only cos I got a free sample and liked it so bought more.

and, if you want to try and BF this DC, there is much more support out there these days than previously, and you may find that you have a totally different experience this time around smile

LackaDAISYcal Fri 22-Aug-08 23:31:25

PS, you should come and say hello on the November AN thread.....there are a lot of us and it's very busy, but new faces always welcome smile

kegs82 Fri 22-Aug-08 23:57:26

Was on Nov thread at begining but due to using phone to post and having problems with mobile internet on phone had to stop posting. Got new phone now but hoping to get laptop soon so even better access to Mumsnet.

I assumed going by Mothercare's statement on BPA in bottles they stock that levels safe. It's good to hear that Dr Brown's could be ok if using with slightly cooled water. Really like anti colic factor of them as MAM did nothing for DD2's colic. Was looking at Born Free bottles but noticed they didnt get very good reviews on Babyworld compared to Dr Brown's.

smile

tiktok Sat 23-Aug-08 00:28:28

Sorry - midwife is definitely wrong about stress and milk production....especially stress when you are still pregnant !

Wonder how she thinks stress affects milk production now and in the future?

Sorry to sound cross - am getting a bit tetchy with HCPs who worry mothers unncessarily

LackaDAISYcal Sat 23-Aug-08 09:55:56

I thought I recognised your name kegs smile

and if stress in pregnancy affected milk production; there is no way i would've been able to successfully feed my DD for 10 months as I had a horrible pregnancy with her. Granted it's not good for the baby or for you though so try not to worry unneccesarily about it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now