Talk

Advanced search

Want to stop breastfeeding.

(5 Posts)
chloemegjess Thu 21-Aug-08 19:23:15

Hello. I have a nearly 8month old DD who is still 95% BF, but also on 3 meals a day. I am now pregnant again, and just feel its all too much to carry on breastfeeding as well. But I would like to at least keep my supply until after my 12week scan (not date for yet), just incase the pregnancy doesnt last, in which case I would probbly carry on BF.

Whats the best way of doing this? Is it better to go gradual? Or go straight into a routine? At the moment, I am BF on demand and we have no routine at all. How often should she be having milk?

Am I better to straight to a beaker? She will drink out of a tommie timmpie first cup for water, but not sure about a full cup of milk.

Any Advice would be great!

janek Thu 21-Aug-08 21:13:33

i stopped feeding my 23mth dd when i was pregnant again, not long after i had my first scan, and it was relatively easy because my supply was already virtually gone - she would stop in the middle of her before-bed feed to have a drink from a cup!!! but by that stage i had already cut down to just morning and evening feeds.

i also had a mmc last nov, and had cut down to morning and evening because of that pregnancy. before we cut down i was demand feeding her, and i think the supply was lower then too, because her previously quite short feeds, were suddenly interminable. i was really glad i kept had kept feeding her when it turned out i wasn't going to have a baby after all, so i think you are wise to keep your options open till then.

no advice really, except keep going till you're sure of the new pg, also needs must - my dd hardly used to eat anything, then i only fed am and pm and suddenly, miraculously, she ate much more. i think you will probably find that your dd will find a way to drink if she is thirsty. a free-flowing cup like tommy tippee is much better than one with a valve like the so-called miracle avent cup imo/e.

chloemegjess Thu 21-Aug-08 21:57:42

Thank you jane, that is really helpful.

I know I should really express some milk and offer that in a beaker to start with, but I just hate expressing! lol

I am also hoping that DD will sleep more if she starts having formula!

And solids wise, she will eat anything and everything!

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 21-Aug-08 22:08:21

There's a thread for those of us who are pregnant and breastfeeding, which you are welcome to join us on. Someone there may be able to help. I'll go and find a link for you in just a tick.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 21-Aug-08 22:13:52

Here you go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now