Talk

Advanced search

Leaving 5 month old for weekend. Mad not to take double pump?

(9 Posts)
chipmonkey Thu 21-Aug-08 14:43:48

We're travelling Ryanair and have opted not to check in luggage. I have 2 pumps, a double electric and a single electric. I have a feeling the double would be better for maintaining supply and obviously takes less time to pump but the single is sooooo much more portable! Any ideas?

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 20:54:15

I would say single because it is portable and you always have plenty of time to kill on a plane anyway.

<pause>

Actually I don't know what I am talking about. Are you taking pumps just to maintain supply? It is over one night or two? I would just take single and do a few quick pumps over weekend at most then let dc bring up supply again when you return. But I really don't know what I'm talking about, I didn't use pumps or ever get away without dcs (sob).

You should ask someone else, I'll bump for you

SqueakyPop Thu 21-Aug-08 20:59:38

I don't think you will affect your supply much in only a couple of days with a five month old.

You will get engorgement though, unless you can remove all the milk you produce. Anything that removes the milk will do the trick.

I remember going on a business trip when DS was 11 months old. The first night I was in extreme pain, despite hand expressing lots. The milk was creeping over my shoulders and under my arms. I had to bail from my trip, abandon my hire car, and take a flight home. I remember walking down the aisle of the plane with my elbows sticking out!

I didn't have any supply problems when I got home, but did have a bit of explaining to do to my boss. He was more embarrassed than me, so the less said the better.

chipmonkey Thu 21-Aug-08 21:09:25

I am veering towards the single pump, I have to say. No point in pumping too much because we can't actually bring that much milk home on the plane either, due to liquid regulations. We are away for 2 nights. I am looking forward to it but it really does require so much more preparation when you are bf!

SqueakyPop Thu 21-Aug-08 21:22:21

I think you have to be prepared to dump the liquid gold

MarsLady Thu 21-Aug-08 22:26:49

surely by now you can hand express? grin

<<goes back to wine and tv>>

chipmonkey Thu 21-Aug-08 22:38:14

envy at wine and TV!!
LOL, never could hand-express, conjures up memories of sore boobs and 10ml of milk! I do want to bring some liquid gold home though. I go back to work a week later and my Mum will have used up my entire EBM stash while I am away. Otherwise he might have to have <<<whispers, formula!>>>

MarsLady Thu 21-Aug-08 22:38:52

<<faints clean away>>

chipmonkey Fri 22-Aug-08 13:35:09

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now