Talk

Advanced search

do you need to boil water for formula at 13 months?

(14 Posts)
bumbly Wed 20-Aug-08 20:40:29

now sliowly been not sterilising bottles and just cleaning well with hot soapy water

but also been doing tap water straight form tap and then using formula straight away

he drinks cold taP WATER with meals so surely no need to boil water now??? or am i wrong??

combustiblelemon Wed 20-Aug-08 20:44:42

Do you want to use formula? You could just use cow's milk.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 20:48:20

the reasons for using boiled water that is then cooled is to kill any bugs that may be lurking in the powder as it isn't sterile, so yes, water at 70deg or above should always be used.

but agree that at 13 months there is no need to be using formula unless he is on neocate or something for a special diet.

bumbly Wed 20-Aug-08 20:49:56

use a mixture of cows milk and formula

half half

shinyshoes Wed 20-Aug-08 20:50:08

Can you still use formula for a 13 month old hmm

bumbly Wed 20-Aug-08 20:50:58

but there is bugs in floor etc and if use instantly after the formula is made surely it is safe?? as it is digested straight away??

only asking as completely clueless

bumbly Wed 20-Aug-08 20:51:37

there is formula for 13 month pkus...so yes fornmula can be used

i am slowly weaning off formula hence question

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 20:55:05

there can be some pretty nasty tummy bigs lurking in the formula. always best to boil and use when still very hot, regardless of the age of the baby.

not everyone does though

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 20:56:42

also bumbly, although follow on formulas exist and the formula companies would have you believe that they are essential, there really isn't any need to use them as they are no different from first milks other than they have more, but indigestible, iron in them.

bumbly Wed 20-Aug-08 20:58:06

thanks daisy

just surprised powder has bugs that is all

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 20:59:01

and if it's drinkingtemperature and wuickness you are thinking about, i used to put the powder in the bottle, add a measured quantity of water (half the amount required), shake well to dissolve the powder and kill the bugs, and then top up with the other measured half of tap water. Ready to drink, but still safe smile

LackaDAISYcal Wed 20-Aug-08 21:01:53

oops that should be quickness.

i think it surprises a lot of people really, but it isn't made in particularly sterile conditions. and even if the tub was sterile, it's only sterile until it's opened.

we just went cold turkey with the cows milk to fomrula and Dd didn't even bat an eyelid. My main issue now is getting rid of bottles as she has become suddenly very attached to them at 14 months!

gawd, my typos are all over the place tonight....too tired!

bristols Wed 20-Aug-08 21:03:41

FWIW I just used tap water to make DS's formula from about nine months blush Followed the same logic as you, really. Never had any problems.

bumbly Thu 21-Aug-08 23:03:48

thanks for all the posts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now