Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Will coffee affect ds?

(5 Posts)
beansprout Wed 16-Feb-05 17:35:19

Had 2 cups of coffee yesterday rather than my usual one (rock 'n' roll) and then had a bad night. I know I am clutching at straws and looking for a really simple solution, but could this have affected him? Does it affect them at all? TIA

beansprout Wed 16-Feb-05 18:01:51

bump - I've held off on the coffee today and I'm suffering!!!

tiktok Wed 16-Feb-05 18:25:03

Caffeine does get through to the breastmilk but in tiny, tiny amounts - 0.06 to 0.15 per cent of the maternal 'dose' according to Hale. Well below, he says, the doses used on neonates for treating breathing difficulties. I have read about a few mothers who drink a lot of caffeine drinks (cola, coffee) that their babies are irritable as a result and they have cut down and seen a change. The one woman I knew who reckoned this had several cups of expresso type coffee a day. No idea if this helps, beansprout. I would bet it was coincidence, though!

motherinferior Wed 16-Feb-05 19:03:15

You're just such a dangerous living sort of a gal, aren't you

beansprout Thu 17-Feb-05 11:16:56

Thanks both of you! Right, back on the caffeine today then.... it's ok if I snort it...?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: