Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Rocking Chair

(15 Posts)
Teoroy Wed 20-Aug-08 11:56:40

Is it worth bying a rocking chair for breastfeeding?

Thanks

MamaG Wed 20-Aug-08 12:02:18

I never used one, just made myself comfortable with pillows/cushions

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-Aug-08 12:03:57

I actually find my nursery glider chair crap for breastfeeding - great for rocking the little bugger to sleep though.

What you do need is a footstool to support your feet. That makes a huge difference.

RubySlippers Wed 20-Aug-08 12:04:28

i bought a rocking chair in a charity shop for £15 - bargain

don't think you need to spend loads of cash

TBH most of the night feeds were done in my bed and can recommend a "V" shaped pillow

MamaG Wed 20-Aug-08 12:23:53

Ruby will you look at this please?

MrsJamin Wed 20-Aug-08 13:34:28

I've got the Ikea Poang chair - wonderfully comfortable and will be useful for years to come rather than looking like a 'nursing chair'. It also has a matching stool.

theyoungvisiter Wed 20-Aug-08 13:38:56

I second the footstool - they are truly essential - and I hate feeding in a rocking chair, whenever you brace yourself trying to get the baby into the right position, the chair just rocks back into the wrong position!

I'd say what you need is just a fairly low chair, not too narrow between the armrests, with a footstool, also a high enough back that you can rest your head (my favourite feeding chair has a low back and I end up lolling my head during the night feeds - not comfortable).

PrettyCandles Wed 20-Aug-08 13:40:01

My Dutailier was dire for feeding a tiny baby, but brilliant for relaxing when heavily pg, for bedtime story-reading, for general cuddles, and, eventually for bfing when the baby was a toddler.

For me the trouble was, I think, that I am tall, and the arms of the chair were therefore too low to support my arms, and the back did not support my head (and, boy, your head lols when the prolactin hits!).

The matching footstool is too high for me, as it's the same height as the seat, so lifts my legs too high for comfort. I use a much lower one, a poufe less than half the height of the seat.

Ikea Poang chair is lovely for feeding in, and the footstool is very well-designed to slope away from the seat. Can be a little difficult to get out of, as it cradles you so well.

PrettyCandles Wed 20-Aug-08 13:42:10

Not that I'm all that tall - 5'8".

idontbelieveit Wed 20-Aug-08 13:44:22

woolworths online do a chair and footstool for cheap. I got one and it's great. I found it especially good after my c section.
here

SilverSixpence Wed 20-Aug-08 15:05:12

I like my nursing chair, but don't tend to use it all that much as it accumulates various towels books etc throughout the day hmm I also found it good for soothing him to sleep.

elmoandella Wed 20-Aug-08 15:22:26

i have the ikea chair upstairs. still use it.
and a cossatto 360 swivel glider.

the glider was brilliant for feeding. still use it to this day for sitting on. it's just sooo damn comfy with footstool that glides.

dont know how we would have managed to get babies to sleep without it too.

glasgow pram centre have it on sale regularly. and they will courier to anywhere.

babyOcho Wed 20-Aug-08 17:36:00

I got a normal chair from Ikea as well, one with arms on it. Figured that DD can keep it in her room and use it herself until it falls to pieces.

I tried BFing in a rocking chair the other day, but found it really hard to do. Perhaps it was because we're not used to it.

elmoandella Wed 20-Aug-08 21:43:05

i tried loads before i settled on my rocking chair. think you have to get one thats at a good angle and arms are right height for ur boobs/arms.

my friends one i hate coz i feel like i'm falling back, but she swears by it

baffledmum Wed 20-Aug-08 21:46:25

I loved my nursing rocking chair and would recommend one if you can afford it. Check that the arms are at the right for BF though as that can be an issue.

My friend, equally happy, used an Ikea Poang.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now