Talk

Advanced search

Back at work, DD nearly 5mos, getting very hungry

(2 Posts)
skidoodle Tue 19-Aug-08 20:21:50

Hi there wonderful ladies

I went back to work full time when my DD was 3.5 months old. She will be 5 months on Thursday and exclusively fed on breastmilk, although obviously during the week a lot of that is EBM. I express twice a day when I'm at work. I feed her in the morning and in the evening before bedtime. DH gives her a bottle of EBM before we go to bed. I express at this time too.

Recently she has started seeming very hungry. I guess that is no wonder, as she's probably soon going to be wishing for solid foods.

Before I went back to work she seemed to mostly have 2 middle of the day feeds - 2nd breakfast and lunch, as we called them. Now she has 2nd and 3rd breakfast, maybe 4th and then after her lunch has one or two afternoon snacks. Now that's grand and all very easy as we're now brilliant at breastfeeding [proud emoticon] and she feeds very quickly.

However, I'm worried that as I'm at work during the week and only expressing twice a day that perhaps my supply is not keeping up with her. Am I right in this? I can't really express x5 during the working day. TBH twice is putting me under quite a lot of time pressure as it is.

I have always had an abundant supply of milk, and I've only become concerned about this in the last few days as she seems really hungry.

My freezer is packed with EBM and I've left extra with the CM so she always has enough during the day. She doesn't seem to be looking for extra milk though, she just seems to be voraciously hungry when she does feed.

Any advice? Might she be ready for solids? Should I start supplementing her with the stored EBM for the next month until we start weaning her?

Mummyfor3 Sat 23-Aug-08 15:04:15

Bumping as v interested in answer myself smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now